Long story made short: too many bubbles

Due to a wedding, graduation, and lots of rain we are just now getting around to opening our pool. Started the pump and immediately get a strong jet of bubbles from the jets into the pool. That, along with the algaecide, has formed a thick layer of scummy foam on the top of the water (at least that's what my research says is the problem).

In looking into the filter basket on the pump there are no discernible bubbles in the basket. All new plumbing done before last year's startup. I've tried running water over all the joints and the pump basket to no avail. Next I'm going to try the shaving cream trick and see if I can find anything.

My question is this: would these bubbles only be possible in front of the pump? Could my filter valve be part of the issue? I'd rather not take the pump valve off if I don't have to.

Thanks for the help.
Lance

In-ground 24,000 gal
Vinyl liner
Hayward Super Pump with rebuilt 1.00 HP motor
Hayward Vari-Flo pump
Sand filter

Hello and welcome! :wave: You have the right idea (water & shaving cream). Here's the TFP link for suction side leaks: Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

Typically if there's air coming from your returns it's because air was "sucked" in from between the skimmer/drain to your pump basket/pump (suction side). Any compromise on the pressure side out from the pump and filter would result in a water leak. Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

The majority of issues are resolved above the ground around fittings, valves, etc. Worst case scenario would be a compromise of your plumbing underground. :( Hope it doesn't come to that.

Texas, thanks for the reply. In my thinking, if it's underground why wouldn't I see bubbles and/or debris in the filter basket? Seems to me the most likely scenario is in the above-ground plumbing as you said. What's got me stumped is there are NO bubbles/cavitation in the basket and a LOT of bubbles from the jet. Well, here goes with the shaving cream; I'll let you know if I find anything.

UPDATE: Spread shaving cream over every connection I could find. Nothing. Looks like professional help will be the next option. Any other thoughts will be appreciated.

In-ground 24,000 gal
Vinyl liner
Hayward Super Pump with rebuilt 1.00 HP motor
Hayward Vari-Flo pump
Sand filter

I've had my pool open for over a month and have been battling air coming into my pool the whole time. I've looked for above ground leaks everywhere and it is to the point now where I don't know what else to look for. My water is constantly cloudy and I think sand (it is not grainy like sand however) is being introduced into the pool as well. I've replaced my multiport valve key and corresponding o ring to no avail. My pool chemistry is fine, FC 9, CC 0, PH 7.3, TA 120. With no CC's present I'm pretty sure I'm not battling an algae problem. I've even slammed the pool and gotten the FC up to 15 for over a week but the brown stuff keeps showing back up on my pool floor. I need all kinds of help.

I wish you luck in you search and hope that if there is anything wrong, it's on the surface where you can fix it relatively easily. As for underground, while it's not the most common, it can happen over time from the shifting of the ground or faulty/poor installation, etc. Air is sneaky enough to get "pulled" into the suction line without bringing with it debris (i.e. dirt). Without a doubt, eliminate all you can above ground so that "if" you ever do have dig, you are certain it will resolve the issue. It would be a bad summer's day if you cut into the ground and found-out later it was something else. Woo! :grrrr:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.