Newbie's story and a thank you.

ge2655

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 20, 2008
Hello everyone!

I have a 12,000-gallon, in-ground SWG pool, with spill over spa, in South Florida. I never really took intensive care of my pool and hence the old marcite finish was greatly deteriorated and a resurface was imperative. Thirty days ago, my friend (an experienced tile man who has done dozens of pools), his son and myself, resurfaced my twenty-year-old pool with ceramic tile and grouted with diamond brite.

My friend’s technique of tiling around the perimeter, reducing the rows of netted tile as we approached the pool’s floor, yielded a magnificent finish. He told me the tile would shimmer at night with the underwater light on but the hazy water would never clear completely. I would shock the pool and it would clear for a day and then get hazy again. After reading this forum, I learned the BBB method and also the purpose and procedure of shocking.

I shocked for five days with 10% liquid chlorine from Home Depot.
Ran the filter 24/7, changing the cartridge once.
I kept the SWG at 100% output.
Brushed the walls, floor and skimmed the surface daily.
Tested water twice daily (AM/PM)
Compensated for FC loss by adding liquid chlorine.
Finally achieved no FC change from day to day.

While shocking, I could not check CC accurately with the K-2005 so I focused on keeping the FC level at 15 using the pool calculator and testing FC by diluting sample as per Taylor’s instructions.

PH stayed high 7.8 –8.0 throughout shocking but I only added acid once to drop from 8.0 to 7.6

I also needed to:
Increase TA from 20 to its current level
Increase CH from 40 to its current level.
Increase CYA from 20 to its current level

Current levels:
CL – 9.5
PH – 7.8
TA – 60
CH – 120
CYA – 60-70
It took about a week to get things in harmony.

FC has been steady for two days with filter running normal eight-hour cycle and testing before and after the cycle. Today I turned the SWG down to 75% and will monitor the FC level to attain a level of 5-6 ppm. After attaining my target FC, I will adjust the PH to 7.5 if it does not lower on it’s own. My question is regarding CH. I have read the level should be between 200-300 but the diamond brite grout has me puzzled. I was warned by the pool store that if not cured right, it could turn into a ‘peanut butter’ consistency. There are no signs of that now and the diamond brite grout is very firm. Would increasing the CH help me now or should I allow the grout to cure for 90 days and then raise it?

I now have stored in my garage, a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine, a 20# bag of baking soda and a box of Mule Team Borax. I feel I have the necessary tools on hand to ensure levels may be maintained.
Next trip to the pool store, I will stock a small bucket of stabilizer as well.

I have never had cleaner water or a more striking appearance to my pool. The tiled floor truly does sparkle.

This is a great forum promoting great advice. Your stealth contributions to my success are appreciated.

Regards,
-Gary

Test kit -> K-2005 (awaiting K-2006 kit which should arrive any day).
SWG -> Auto Pilot Soft Touch
Hayward Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filters

ge2655 said:
My question is regarding CH. I have read the level should be between 200-300 but the diamond brite grout has me puzzled. I was warned by the pool store that if not cured right, it could turn into a ‘peanut butter’ consistency. There are no signs of that now and the diamond brite grout is very firm. Would increasing the CH help me now or should I allow the grout to cure for 90 days and then raise it?

I just wanted to say welcome! :wave:

I highlighted this portion of your post, as your query was somewhat buried in your o.p., and I didn't want it to get lost. So

:bump:

And hopefully a guru who knows more about CH than I do, will be along shortly to advise.

Good luck, enjoy your newly refurbished and sparkly pool!

ge2655 said:
It took about a week to get things in harmony.

That's what it's all about!

I'd love to see some pics of the pool, especially at night if you can swing it.

As for the calcium, I'd go ahead and increase it to plaster pool levels (~250-300). Your water temperature will make a difference here, so let us know where you are.

A few images of my pool restoration.

BBB method
FC - 6.5
TC - 6.5
PH - 7.4
TA - 70
CH - 210
CYA - 90

Attachments

• combo 03.jpg
    combo 03.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 248
  • combo 02.jpg
    combo 02.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 249
  • combo 01.jpg
    combo 01.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 251
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.