Pool Closing tips

Hi All. Great info found on this site!

I realize this is the time of year people are opening their pools, but I have questions regarding closing the pool. I have own a pool for the past 8 years and every year I have a green swamp when I open. Can anyone tell me what I would need to add at closing to prevent this SLAM every year? I have a 18X36 kidney shaped concrete, vinyl lined pool. 4' in shallow end and 8' deep end. Sand filter.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

I always close my pool when the water is about 50 degrees, my cover is usually on a month before that. When the water reaches that temp. I bring it up to my shock level,lower the water level and blow the lines and remove the pump.
In the spring I also try to open at 50 degrees and when I test the water it still has chlorine and is clear.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Yup, close late and open early. Cold water slows the ability of algae to reproduce (does not stop it). So, close when it is cold and open when it is cold and you have a better chance of avoiding a green opening.

Best advise as already mentioned is to close late and open early.

A pool that size should turn so quickly without sunlight. I am going to guess that you have a safety cover (mesh) as opposed to the vinyl?
These allow more sunlight penetration and sometimes water / dirt into your pool depending on what else is around you.

It could be advantageous to add some bleach and brush / agitate during the first thaw or prior to the first freeze depending on when you are closing and temperatures.

Best advise as already mentioned is to close late and open early.

A pool that size should turn so quickly without sunlight. I am going to guess that you have a safety cover (mesh) as opposed to the vinyl?
These allow more sunlight penetration and sometimes water / dirt into your pool depending on what else is around you.

It could be advantageous to add some bleach and brush / agitate during the first thaw or prior to the first freeze depending on when you are closing and temperatures.

Yes, I have the mesh safety cover. I know I am not doing something right when closing because I see my neighbors pools aren't green when opening. A lot of them have pool companies open so they have no idea what goes in it or can offer any credible advice.

So, before I drain it down I should bring it to shock level for a day? Then drain to below the returns.

Yes, I have the mesh safety cover. I know I am not doing something right when closing because I see my neighbors pools aren't green when opening. A lot of them have pool companies open so they have no idea what goes in it or can offer any credible advice.

So, before I drain it down I should bring it to shock level for a day? Then drain to below the returns.

Yep, that's what you need to do. And you don't need any of those floating chlorine tab holders either.

That has been my method for years. I now have a vinyl winter cover which I have found to be more consistent for a clear blue open.

If you close early, you are likely having your Chlorine levels diluted from the additional rain water, snow load and melt. Those covers also allow sun-light penetration.

This is why I recommend opening the safety cover before the first freeze and test. Likewise after the first thaw. Don't forget to stir and agitate after adding bleach / chlorine if it needs the top up because your pump wont be running at this point.

***don't buy the pool store closing kits***
:cool:

That has been my method for years. I now have a vinyl winter cover which I have found to be more consistent for a clear blue open.

If you close early, you are likely having your Chlorine levels diluted from the additional rain water, snow load and melt. Those covers also allow sun-light penetration.

This is why I recommend opening the safety cover before the first freeze and test. Likewise after the first thaw. Don't forget to stir and agitate after adding bleach / chlorine if it needs the top up because your pump wont be running at this point.

***don't buy the pool store closing kits***
:cool:

Thank you! How would I stir/agitate if I can't run the pump? Just use the long pole with the brush on it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.