Stenner Pump - Tank Question

Jan 31, 2013
My liquidator works ok, but I am not enamored with the quality of it. I too am trying to put together a dosing system. I have a BubbleMagus BM-T01 pump with three heads which hopefully will do the trick. With the help of another guy in Houston, I was able to get 25 gallons of really good quality 12.5% bleach in a plastic, safe for bleach container. The biggest problem is the gassing off of the bleach. If I seal the tank it expands, if I let it open ever so slightly, I assume I am losing strength, no?

I would be concerned with using 25 gallons of 12.5% bleach to dose a 13,500 gallon pool. Storage life of Chlorine is discussed in the thread Shelf-Life-for-Liquid-Chlorine. I have a 20,000 gallon pool and a 15 gallon tank which I believe will last me about 45 days. With your 13,500 gallon pool, 25 gallons would last about 111 days under the same conditions as my pool. 111 days is nearly the half life of 10% Chlorine. Over 111 days, 10% Chlorine would be about 5% at 111 days and net about 7% per day over the 111 days. From the link, I guess the half life of 12.5% would be at best 80 days which would be about 4.7% at 111 days and net about 8% per day over the 111 days. So ... if you can get the 12.5% chlorine for not much more than other concentrations, go ahead and use the 12.5%, but recognize you may need to adjust dosing schedule more than with lower concentrations due to their longer shelf life.

Gary

Bleach will offgas and even the bottles you buy in the grocery have vents on them. It's not losing strength just because it's vented, so it's ok to let it vent a little.

I'm not sure about the Bubble Magus pump. The BM-T01 says it'll dose up to 2 litres per cycle and it'll do 24 cycles a day, so that should be enough to chlorinate the pool, however, I can't find any info on materials of construction to make sure it's safe to use bleach in it. It'd probably be wise to contact the mfg or vendor and make sure it's ok to use.

I understand about the off-gassing but it so hard to find the stuff in Houston, I often wonder the actual strength of the stuff I was getting ripped off for at Lowes.

Gonna try this and see what happens.

To answer your question about off gasing. I just drilled a tiny hole in my 15 gallon container to off gas. I have not noticed a change in chlorine usage going up due to a decrease in strength ( hard to tell since it is now summer and temp has risen along with normal chlorine demand).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.