Chlorine reading zero

Mar 19, 2015
Menifee, california
I'm new to having a pool and everything has been running smoothly the last six week until we got hit with 104 degree weather and decided to spend two days in the pool. Now my water is super cloudy and I am getting a zero reading for chlorine. I even had it on super chlorinate last night for 8 hrs. My salt cell is only 2 months old so I don't know why it wouldn't be producing.

Here are my numbers: FAC 0. TAC 0. Salt 3400. CYA 35. TA. 80. pH 7.4. Phosphates 0

I know my CYA is low too.

I hope this is the correct place to post this

10,000 gallon vnyl pool, Aquarite T-15 cell, Hayward Tristar VS , Swimclear c3030

Where did you get your test results from?

I don't rely on my SWG's superchlorinate setting to do anything but lower the life of the SWG. A SWG is used to maintain a FC level that is normal. Going from 0 to 5.0 or so, I'd use bleach.

With 104 degree temps, I assume lots of sunlight. Sunlight burns off chlorine if your CYA isn't high enough (this site recommends 70 - 80 for a SWG pool). With my cover on, I see a FC around 7, with it off it drops to 5.

Lets keep that CYA low for right now. Dont add any more.

You will need to get in some bleach to get i to sanitary levels. I would get it to 5 immediately.

There is a good chance you have some algae living in your pool which is why your salt cell can not keep up. More than likely you will need to SLAM.

Here are the directions: SLAM Directions

First though, lets verify with an OCLT. Here are the directions for that: OCLT Directions

If you fail the OCLT, then begin SLAMing. Turn off your SWG at this point and just use bleach.

BTW, what are you testing with?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and make sure your SWG is not running during your OCLT!

Good thing. You will absolutely need it to successfully SLAM. It will save you a ton in the end. You took the first big step to never trusting the pool store again!

The next step is to become very fluent with the procedure in Pool School.

Read it as many times as it takes to know it like the back of your hand. One of the most important things is the Chlorine/CYA Chart. Also you will find that the Pool Math Calculator will become your best friend.

I am sure this is a dumb question, but since I have a SWG and my CYA level is 35, what would be my shock level since its not on the chart? Do I just add liquid bleach until I get a higher FC reading, with my generator off?

I like to think I am an intelligent person, but I am sure having a hard time with this.

Most people turn off their SWCG during a SLAM procedure and I'd recommend that as well. You're going to be adding much more chlorine manually than your SWCG provides and you may as well save the life on the cell. Your pump MUST be running throughout the entire SLAM.

Wait until you get your own proper CYA test before starting the SLAM. Leslie's may have said your CYA was 35 but it could be 20. It could be 50. It could be 120. It could be 200. It could be 0. You need to test this yourself to get an accurate number before proceeding. Until your kit arrives, you can safely add up to a gallon of 6% bleach each day until your kit arrives. If your CYA were to turn out to be about 35, use the 40 ppm CYA values for SLAM. Round up, always.

Please add the details of your pool to your forum signature so it's easier to help you later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am sure this is a dumb question, but since I have a SWG and my CYA level is 35, what would be my shock level since its not on the chart? Do I just add liquid bleach until I get a higher FC reading, with my generator off?

I like to think I am an intelligent person, but I am sure having a hard time with this.

Nope, not a dumb question. Use the shock level in the non-swg part of the chart. Also, notice that shock level is the same in both sections, salt or not.

TA should be that last thing on your mind right now.

Dont guesstimate on your CYA level. If it is in between 30 and 40, then use 40 as your CYA level.

If you want, raise your pH up to 7.2 as per the SLAM directions. Your pH test will be useless during your SLAM because high FC messes with the results. Personally, I see no reason to raise it. I think this direction is more for people with high pH to get them to bring it back down.

BTW, you are using the 25ml method of testing FC I assume? This level of accuracy is not needed, especially during the SLAM. You will just be wasting reagents. Use the 10ml method.

Other than that, congrats on getting your kit! You are good to get SLAMing!

I have checking and adding bleach every three hours. It has dropped the last two times to 11.5 FC and the CC to .5 (last time might be less than .5 since the water barely changed with the 10 ml). Water looks clearer already. Should I keep adding or leave the pump running over night and see how much my levels drop? Should I leave my SWG off or turn it back on. And what is a normal pump run time and % level now that it is in the 90s daily?

Thanks again for all your help. It was very overwhelming but I am hopeful I will get it eventually.

Balancing my numbers

I'm back again! I left for a week on our family vacation and now I need to balance my numbers . I have the chlorine down but I just want to make sure I'm going about the other problems in the right order

FC 4
CC 0
TA 125
pH 7.7 (7.8)
cYA 20 (could be lower, I couldn't add any more water)

So I add stabilizer ( any specific brand?) , then use acid to lower pH down to 7.2 and aerate back up to lower TA?

Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.