New Pool owner, older existing pool, need help with Vacuum

Jun 10, 2015
Lafayette, LA
Hi all, we recently purchased a home with an existing pool, about 25k gallons, rectangle in shape, with a single skimmer basket. Pool goes from about 3' to almost 9.5' in the deep end. I originally bought a robot to clean the pool, but with all the leaves and debris from our yard, and neighboring yards, it wasn't doing the job. So, I sold that, and recently bought a Baracuda G3, along with the leaf catcher to put inline.

Well, all parts come in yesterday, clean out filters, gets going great for a few minutes, then stops. Hose is still shaking, just not as hard as when it first starts out. Shut everything down, cleaned out what little debris was in it, start it back, same thing. I just changed out the pump about a month ago due to the old one dying, seems to have good suction when the basket is in place.

This is an extremely old pool, I'm guessing 35+ years, so there is only the skimmer basket to use, no booster pump.

I'm at a loss, can't seem to figure this mess out, and I like to think I'm pretty good with things of this nature.

Any help would be great

In addition to KimKats above:

- Can you flush the vacuum hose out - something may have gotten lodged in it between the vacuum and leaf catcher?
- Does the suction at the skimmer feel the same if you pull the hose out as before you started vacuuming?

You can take boths ends of the hose, pull it over to the return jet then put one end over the jet. All the water should then come out, at a similar rate, of the other end of the hose. Lots of brand new pools only have one skimmer and no booster pump. Even though it is a little old, your setup can work just fine.

Just so happened that the pool company came to do the maintenance on my pool yesterday after I wrote the post. My pressure gauge is reading between the 14-15 mark, and the vacuum seems to be working fine. There may have been some trash in either the lines, or the return, as it is now running pretty good and getting around the pool well. Also I backwashed and rinsed the filter, that may have had some bearing on the performance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.