New AGP Purchase

jbarr

Jun 10, 2015
Deer Park/Texas
I live in Houston TX and I'm about to get an AGP and the wife wants to get it partial buried. My questions are:
Is Saltwater or Chlorine better ?
Is there anything I should be aware of putting in ground?
It will be professional installed
The pool is a Cornelius Dynasty 24'
25 mil liner
They will be installing 2 main drains in the bottom as well
They price is close to 9k for everything including saltwater system will be around 800 less
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

God bless,
Josh

Hi Josh
Welcome to TFP!

I dont have any experience wiht ABGs, or partially buried ones, but lots of others do and Im sure will chime in.

As for using a saltwater system or chlorine... they both do exactly the same thing at the end of the day.. they introduce chlorine into the water and convert to hypochlorous acid, which is what keeps it sanitary and clean.

the only real difference is convenience. Do you want to be handling liquid chlorine every day and hauling multiple jugs of it from the store? or do you want to let the Saltwater system take care of that for you? In the long run, the costs of SW vs liquid chlorine are about equal. You just pay for the SWG up front vs the cost of chlorine over a long period of time.

I have a SWG, and in my personal opinion, I would not have a pool without one, just for the conveninece of it.

Welcome! :wave:

How exciting! Take lots of pictures of the process and share them. We like pictures.

The only difference between bleach and a SWG is that the generator is smaller and poolside and not miles away at a plant. You'll still need to test things, it's not set-and-forget. It just saves you having to buy, haul, store, and pour liquid chlorine. And the SWG isn't likely to get distracted and forget to add some.

When you're budgeting, don't forget to include all the one-time expenses: pole, brush, vacuum, net, thermometer, test kit, beach balls, pool noodles, squirt guns, inner tubes... those small expenses can really add up because there's just so many!

Well just bought the pool and it will be installed on the 24th of this month. We didn't end up countersinking pool because they install 2 main drains and this will be our first pool adventure so if it doesn't work out we won't have a huge hole in the yard.
We ended up just going with an autochlorinator instead of the salt system.

Well just bought the pool and it will be installed on the 24th of this month. We didn't end up countersinking pool because they install 2 main drains and this will be our first pool adventure so if it doesn't work out we won't have a huge hole in the yard.
We ended up just going with an autochlorinator instead of the salt system.

No! you don't want the autochlorinator that uses pucks/tabs. those add tons of CYA to your pool and you will be fighting that battle...just read all the horror stories of new people here that high super high CYA and have to drain their pools and refill.

best option is to go with saltwater system...second choice is to manually dose with liquid chlorine/bleach.

hopefully you can cancel/edit

No! you don't want the autochlorinator that uses pucks/tabs. those add tons of CYA to your pool and you will be fighting that battle...just read all the horror stories of new people here that high super high CYA and have to drain their pools and refill.

best option is to go with saltwater system...second choice is to manually dose with liquid chlorine/bleach.

hopefully you can cancel/edit

Well, for the most part; but the chlorinator does have it's place in the chemical maintenance of the pool. I'll use one when I'm away for several days, otherwise the pool will start turning green from algae formation. I'll also use the tabs when I want to RAISE the cya level when I find it is too low, which can easily happen when you are topping off a lot due to splash out. It'll take a bit longer doing it this way, but I prefer it to using a sock over the return (kids have a tendency to want to play with the socks). Just periodically test the levels and you'll be fine.

So just have a manual floater with chlorine tablets

JBAR,

what we try to get everyone to understand is using chemicals from the pool store is going to turn bad, 1 way or the other and you will end up back here asking why your pool is green... The reason will be that floater or autochlorinator and just putting in "X+X+X+X" cause the pool store told you too..

We try to stop that "X" in its tracks... and save you money in the long run :) You had a great start with the SWG, you will still have to check your leveles but wont have to haul bottles of chlorine/bleach from the store...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Should I call and cancel auto chlorinator and go with a SWG. Starting to think I messed up.

You don't have to settle for either, if you don't mind using the liquid chlorine. Have you used it the past (wasn't clear on that)? A bit more work intensive, but not a big deal.
Just buy the standard Clorox bleach (buy when on sale if you can) and use the pool calculator under pool math to give an approximate dosage for your pool. Don't pour the liquid into the skimmer; instead pour it slowly over the return in the deep end (if there is one). I prefer to dilute it first since I'm particularly anal about my vinyl liner. Read the stuff over in pool school and you'll do just fine.

Should I call and cancel auto chlorinator and go with a SWG. Starting to think I messed up.

You have not messed up at all.. We are all just trying to give you ALL the information so you can make an informed decision and know exactly what is needed and how to chlorinate your pool :) Whether you have a SWG or buy bleach from walmart, it is the same thing :)

For vacations the floating feeder is much cheeper than the autochlorinator and does the same thing (holds the tabs)

Well, for the most part; but the chlorinator does have it's place in the chemical maintenance of the pool. I'll use one when I'm away for several days, otherwise the pool will start turning green from algae formation. I'll also use the tabs when I want to RAISE the cya level when I find it is too low, which can easily happen when you are topping off a lot due to splash out. It'll take a bit longer doing it this way, but I prefer it to using a sock over the return (kids have a tendency to want to play with the socks). Just periodically test the levels and you'll be fine.

completely disagree. why spend all the money for a system you aren't going to use but a few days each year. this is a new system, wouldn't pay the money for it. you can accomplish what you are saying with a $10 floater if needed

- - - Updated - - -

We didn't end up going with the SWG we did just regular chlorine. The person sold us a auto chlorinator but if I can I will call and take that off and just put towards accessories.

smart move. either go with the SWCG system, or use liquid bleach. will save you a lot of money in the long run

completely disagree. why spend all the money for a system you aren't going to use but a few days each year. this is a new system, wouldn't pay the money for it. you can accomplish what you are saying with a $10 floater if needed

I think you misunderstood when I mentioned "chlorinator". I was referring to the type that looks like a flying saucer with trichlor tabs loaded inside and tossed into the pool to float around...not the "autochlorinator" that is tied into the plumbing.

Well i just ordered my TF100 test kit and pool should be installed next Wednesday and will post pics. Went with chlorine instead of the SWG, wife felt better with chlorine for some reason. I really appreciate all the feedback this is an awesome forum.

Well today is supposed to be the day for our pool install. The installers were supposed to be here at 730 this morning and still not here at 10. Will give Cryers a call around 11 if still not here. Last weekend I ran electrical outlets to where the pump will sit and hoping during the week to start on deck.
456d85529bcf4ec37611743ae80e27de.jpg

Well today is supposed to be the day for our pool install. The installers were supposed to be here at 730 this morning and still not here at 10. Will give Cryers a call around 11 if still not here. Last weekend I ran electrical outlets to where the pump will sit and hoping during the week to start on deck.
456d85529bcf4ec37611743ae80e27de.jpg

I also live in Houston and I'm thinking of getting a similar sized pool and also having it buried. Did they ever finish the job? How are you liking it? I'm trying to pick a dealer/installer for this type of job myself. You mentioned Cryer, did you like their work/professionalism/etc?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.