Multiport Pressure Problem

Sep 17, 2014
galena ohio
I have an above ground pool that I just finished a major overhaul on over the weekend. I replaced the liner, re-did all of the plumbing and changed the filter media and laterals. The filter is a Hayward S200 and I switched it from sand to zeobrite. The pool finally finished filling last night so I followed the directions from zeobrite and backwashed, rinsed, etc. Each time I did so, the filter seemed to operate normally and was around 5-7 PSI. After completing those steps, I turned the multiport setting to filter and it immediately built up a ton of pressure up to 25 PSI. Water was squeezing from the top air relief screw and also gushing from the waste line. Does it sound like the multiport valve could have gone bad over the winter? A couple of other symptoms are even with the valve set to close, water is backfeeding from the return line into the filter. I'm assuming the close setting should shut that off but can anyone confirm? Could a bad spider gasket cause the filter to build pressure like it did? There doesn't really seem to be many more parts inside these valves from what I can tell so I am at a loss as to what to look for.

Probably. When in backwash and rinse, is water being drawn into the skimmer?

I honestly did not go up and check to see if water was being drawn in through the skimmer. I did try to shut the skimmer off though when I changed to filter to see if it would work correctly on the main drains only and it did not change the symptoms.

Back to another question I had, should the return valve be suctioning through the filter if the valve is set to closed or should that setting be able to shut it off completely? I'm assuming that should be able to shut off that back-feeding and may be an unrelated problem but could be a bad spider gasket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.