New DIY Pool Build/First Time Pool Owner Getting Ready to Fill

TW Pool

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2015
The Woodlands, Texas
Hello all! I am expecting my plaster crew to show up tomorrow to install my Wet Edge Satin Matrix product and will have acid wash on Thursday and we will begin filling the pool. (My pool build in in another thread.)

I'm about to be a first time pool owner and have built this pool myself. I just got my TF1000 kit in the mail TODAY, but haven't researched where to start. (I've been busy building the pool and working.) I'm pretty technical, so I expect to follow the logic from the ABC's, but I don't even have any chemicals yet - nor have I read up on using my new test equipment.

I'd appreciate any advice/pointers for new pool startup and chemistry.

Thanks and I look forward to much more dialogue!

get out that brand new kit and test your fill water and post the results here and so we can see where your at..

You will need
30 CYA to begin (you are in tx, maybe 40 to start)
muriatic acid to keep the PH down and to take TA down
bleach

easy peasy :)

Go ahead and test your fill water. That will show you the PH and TA right off the bat. If you are on city water test for FC as you never know.

It is nice to see someone that already has the test kit! You will NEVER get pool stored!

Kim

Yep, using the kit right off the bat and then posting your results of the water you will fill with is the first step. You certainly will not need ALL additives until we see the results.

From those numbers a good dialogue will start. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.....I think you intend to but just a reminder.

Did you test PH?

Your CYA should be 0 in your fill water. That is something you need to buy and add to your pool water. Use pool math to find out how much. You can go ahead and buy it to have on hand to add to your pool when it gets water. Tell us when you are ready to add it and we can tell you the best way to add it.

Kim

Ok. We completed our fill on 6/12.

Initial readings on 6/13 were:
PH 8.2
FC 0
CC .5
TC .5
CH 50
TA 310
CYA 0

Over the next 2 days, I have added 3 gallons of muriatic acid, 1 gallon of liquid chlorine and about 25# of Calcium Chloride. My new readings were:

PH 7.2
FC 0
CC 0
TC 0
CH 225
TA 180

I am dropping my PH and TA levels to try and get my pebble cleaner. I plan on keeping the PH low for another 24-48 hours before adding chlorine and walking the PH back up to hop in it. Any thoughts? My girls are dying to jump in!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.