Time for a new light - which to choose?

Red

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 11, 2010
Orange County, CA
I currently have a Hayward ColorLogic 4.0 (120v) light. After a couple of years, one of the colors died. I'm not happy about that, but I can't get white out of it anymore, which I like many times. So, it's time for a new light.

I have a dark blue pebble finish. We love it, but there are a few things I didn't realize about this when we put it in:
1: dark blue doesn't reflect the light the way the old white plaster did
2: some of the color combinations look a little icky with the blue plaster color mixed in

But, we still like the color-changing light and want to get another one.

We replastered and replumbed the pool a 5-6 years ago. They put in a new niche and bonded it to the pool and the equipment. So we should be good there. The light is not integrated with any fancy control system; it's just an on/off switch.

Do any of the color-changing LEDs have brighter light output than others? Our pool is a Lazy-L shape. What we found is that with the blue pebble finish that light doesn't reflect and part of the shallow end is a bit dark. The pool people could have ripped up a few things to get in another light, but I didn't want to spend a few thousand to change that after it was all done. If they had thought of it while we had things dug up, it would have been cheap to add another light. I compensated by adding some other lights in the yard and it's workable.

But, with getting a new light, I wonder if anything is brighter, which would help with the shadowy area in the shallow end? I see Pentair has a model that can be changed from wide to narrow focus (and they don't include a spare gasket in the box, which is needed if you change the focus, as people online have pointed out). Might that make a difference? Any other thoughts?

Are there any other major contenders besides Hayward, Pentair, and Jandy in this department?

I'm not really sure, but with a dark finish and your lack of ability to use many colors, you might considers traditional incandescent bright bulb. I don't know which if any pool LED lights will be too bright.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.