Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Forgot the leaf net

1. Back To Top    #1

Forgot the leaf net

Hey everyone,

I forgot to take out my leaf net off my pool before the weather froze it in place. It said in the instructions to take it off before it froze outside. I wasnt paying attention to the weather much and before I knew it it is stuck in about 1" of ice with not many leaves on top of it.

What will the winter do to the leaf cover?

I also have the mesh cover that sits ontop of the water no pillow, etc. needed. The leaf net is ontop of that.

Thanks
    Brian
    24' round Vinyl liner Doughboy 48" deep 52" sidewall
    1hp Doughboy pump w/timer
    Doughboy Silica II filter with Zeosand
    Raypak 180,00 btu heater
    BBB method
    Sundance Optima '97 450 gal. spa w/Delzone ozonator
    Beats driving to the lake, and I'm only a block away from the lake!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Forgot the leaf net

A typical leaf net is ruined after spending one or two winters in ice. There are some leaf nets that are designed to be frozen in ice, but if you had one of those it wouldn't tell you to remove it before freezing. Even if the leaf net is ruined, it won't damage anything else.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The ice might cause the leaf catcher to crack as the ice cools and expands.

I suggest you wait until the pool starts to defreeze and take it from there.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey everyone,

Well its getting warmer here and what I did over the winter was after seeing the posts,(thanks guys for the sugggestions), I thought well Im just going to uncable the leafnet and let it sit over the winter on top of the mesh cover lose, then in the spring when it thaws take it off immediately so the leaves dont get onto the top of the mesh cover. I uncabled it because I figured any snow that gets on top of it may stretch it out and ruin it.

So I took it off the other day and no damage to it what so ever. It wasnt stretched out or didnt feel brittle either, and all the leaves on the top of it stayed there and came right out of the pool no problems.

Now I just have to wait till mid May to fully open it. No sense in paying the gas man to heat a pool when no one here can stand to be in it unless it is 75 degrees out.

Thanks
    Brian
    24' round Vinyl liner Doughboy 48" deep 52" sidewall
    1hp Doughboy pump w/timer
    Doughboy Silica II filter with Zeosand
    Raypak 180,00 btu heater
    BBB method
    Sundance Optima '97 450 gal. spa w/Delzone ozonator
    Beats driving to the lake, and I'm only a block away from the lake!!