Just starting with SWG - need help with pool chemistry and start up

y51

Jun 27, 2011
Illinois
Greetings to all!

I have just installed the AquaTrol SWG on my oval pool. I did not turn it on yet.
I added salt and now I have the test results from pool store:
- Salt - 2750 ppm
- FC - 0.27 ppm
- CYA - 7 ppm
- TA - 25 ppm
- pH - 7.27
- CH - 220 ppm
Using the PoolMath calculator, I have added 40 lbs of salt, 7.2 oz of pH+, 161 oz of baking soda, 97 oz of stabilizer.
What should I do with chlorine? Add bleach (97 oz) or turn SWG on and wait until FC will come up?
Looks like the new test I should do in one week when the stabilizer will be completely dissolved. Am I right?
Is it safe to swim in the pool now?

Thank you very much,

add bleach to get it where you want it - you don't want to wait for the SWG to do it. way faster to just dump in what you need. then you can start zero'ing in on the % and time you need to run it. get chlorine in there asap then turn the swg on and monitor your levels. make SURE you get your CYA to the right level to protect your chlorine - but you did that and just haven't retested. Get your own test kit like this site recommends - its SO helpful. if i were you...once you have chlorine in there and everything else looks good....SWIM!

you want to wait 24 hrs for the salt to mix before you fire up the SWG.
Until the salt is mixed in very well, you are likely to get a low reading on the salt test.

Recommend also to get yourself your own recommended test kit and test the water yourself. Pool store testing is notoriously horrible, as well as their advice.

Greetings to all!

I have just installed the AquaTrol SWG on my oval pool. I did not turn it on yet.
I added salt and now I have the test results from pool store:
- Salt - 2750 ppm
- FC - 0.27 ppm
- CYA - 7 ppm
- TA - 25 ppm
- pH - 7.27
- CH - 220 ppm
Using the PoolMath calculator, I have added 40 lbs of salt, 7.2 oz of pH+, 161 oz of baking soda, 97 oz of stabilizer.
What should I do with chlorine? Add bleach (97 oz) or turn SWG on and wait until FC will come up?
Looks like the new test I should do in one week when the stabilizer will be completely dissolved. Am I right?
Is it safe to swim in the pool now?

Thank you very much,

don't add any CYA to your pool without first confirming via one of the two recommended test kits. your CYA number is not right if you got it from a pool store. if they say 7, it could be anywhere from 0 to 100.

Thank you guys for prompt and detailed response.
I have ordered TF-100 test kit.

umpalumpajay, I don't understand the part of your advise "you can start zero'ing in on the % and time you need to run it".
My AquaTrol has the knob called Desired Output with 1 to 100% scale and increment of 10%.
What setting do I need to use and for how long do I need to run the pump?

Thanks again,

Thank you guys for prompt and detailed response.
I have ordered TF-100 test kit.

umpalumpajay, I don't understand the part of your advise "you can start zero'ing in on the % and time you need to run it".
My AquaTrol has the knob called Desired Output with 1 to 100% scale and increment of 10%.
What setting do I need to use and for how long do I need to run the pump?

Thanks again,

he is talking about figuring out run time and the set output. basically, use chlorine to get to the desired FC, say its 8 (will depend on your CYA). you get it to 8, then you set your pump and set your % on your SWCG. run it for the day, check your FC...if its dropped to 6, then you need to increase either the % output or run time. if your FC increases, then you need to lower the % output or run time.

I would get your FC up to the level you need with liquid bleach, then set your pump to run 5 hours and set your SWCG to 50% and then see what happens. at first, I would try to keep the run time the same and adjust 5%...but if you get to where you are having to increase the % output to 80-100%, then you should increase run time instead.

clear as mud?

basically you want to get your SWCG dialed in so that your FC stays constant every day. takes some tinkering to do that. also, test your FC at the same time everyday. I test mine at the end of the pump run, so I know maximum FC value and that the water is properly mixed up.

Thanks Dan,
Now, it makes sense.
As you mentioned, I should not go above 80% Output. How low can I go with Output %?
Best regards,

you can go all the way to 100%, but you are going to shorten the life of your cell. as far as how low? 0%, haha. really its just a matter of playing around with the output and pump run time. I personally want to minimize the amount of pump run time since I have a single speed pump and trying to keep electric costs down. I wanted to keep my run time around 5 hours and increase the percent production from my cell. its all relative.

if you run your pool pump at 4 hours at 80% production, its roughly going to be the same as running your pump for 8 hours at 40% production. if you have high electric costs, I think it makes more sense to run the pump a little bit less. if you have a 2 speed or variable speed pump, then it makes more sense to run it longer and then adjust your SWCG lower.

as long as you get it dialed in to hold your FC steady, you are good to go.

is your 1.5hp pump a single speed pump?? 1.5hp seems like overkill for your size pool, unless you have fountains, water features, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My today's test results:
Salt - 3200
FC - 6.5
CYA - 40 (increased from two days ago 20 ppm), on June 9 I added 126 oz of stabilizer. As I read, it may take a week for stabilizer to show correct level. So I am going to wait a couple more days.
TA - 120
pH - 7.5
CH - 175
My SWG has 50 % setting @ 6 hrs pump run time. I am going to reduce the run time to 5 hrs to bring CL little lower.
Do I need to be worry about saturation index? The calculator shows -0.35 with target 0.

I have a little confusion about difference between recommended ranges given by SWG manufacturer (Hayward) and TPF:confused:
pH - 7.2-7.6 (Hayward) vs. 7.5-7.8 (TFP)
TA - 80-120 (Hayward) vs. 60-80 (TFP)
CH - 200-400 (Hayward) vs. 50-300 (TFP)
For last two parameters, my numbers are OK per Hayward criteria and NOT OK per TFP criteria.:(
However, I used the TFP criteria when added all chemicals.
Thanks,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.