Getting ready to buy a pool

Aug 21, 2013
Hi! My husband and I finally decided that we would like to have a pool installed. I'm leaning toward ordering the pool/equipment online and then hiring someone to install it and run electric. We are in the Chicago area. So far I have the following that I am considering:

-Sharkline Matrix 20 x 54" Round Above Ground Swimming Pool
-Pentair 347992 OptiFlo Vertical Discharge 1-1/2HP Above Ground Pool Pump Dual Speed Motor with 3' Standard Cord, 115V
-Liner Armor PC20R 20' Round Above Ground Pool Peel and Stick Liner Cove Protection Kit
-Swimline LI2054ASU 20' Round All Swirl UniBead 54in. Depth Above Ground Pool Liner
-Polaris 65 Turbo Turtle Above Ground Pressure Side Automatic Pool Cleaner
-TFTestkits TF-100 TFTestkit FAS-DPD Test Kit
-Pentair PNSD0060DO1160 Sand Dollar SD60 Sand Filter System with 1-1/2HP Dynamo Above Ground Pool Pump
-Hayward AQ-TROL-HP AquaTrol Salt Water Chlorine Generator for Above Ground Pools

We would also need to purchase a locking gate and above ground pool resin fence kit (both required by town and all around a good idea to have since we do not have a fenced yard).

Does this look good? Anything you would add or change? This his a large purchase and I want to make sure I'm making the best choices. Is the floor or wall foam necessary?

Thank you very much for taking the time to help!

I will back off of most of this because as an Intex owner, I know little about specific non intex pools.

I will say that the floor foam will make your pool more comfortable. Little money for the amount your spending so I would definitely keep that.

Also good choice getting a proper test kit from the start. Looks like you have done your homework! I would at a minimum get the XL option. It will make your kit ship for free as an added bonus. I don't have one, but the speed stir will make your life much easier.

Get the thickest mil liner you can afford, at least 25. I would recommend that you get a robot cleaner but that is definitely a preference. I did the battery operated cleaner and then the suction side cleaner, and then the robot. I get a lot of joy plugging it in and letting it go. My time is spent enjoying the pool, not connecting and lugging hoses or unwrapping the suction cleaner from the stairs.

-Sharkline Matrix 20 x 54" Round Above Ground Swimming Pool ( FANTASTIC CHOICE! We have the same one, just 24 ft )
-Pentair 347992 OptiFlo Vertical Discharge 1-1/2HP Above Ground Pool Pump Dual Speed Motor with 3' Standard Cord, 115V ( VERY NICE CHOICE, 2 spd is the way to go )
-Liner Armor PC20R 20' Round Above Ground Pool Peel and Stick Liner Cove Protection Kit
-Swimline LI2054ASU 20' Round All Swirl UniBead 54in. Depth Above Ground Pool Liner ( we had this liner when we first got our pool, not very dark. We went with the Pacific Diamond pattern after ice damage and it's so much nicer )
-Polaris 65 Turbo Turtle Above Ground Pressure Side Automatic Pool Cleaner
-TFTestkits TF-100 TFTestkit FAS-DPD Test Kit
-Pentair PNSD0060DO1160 Sand Dollar SD60 Sand Filter System with 1-1/2HP Dynamo Above Ground Pool Pump ( If I had to go back and do it all over again, i would get a DE filter )
-Hayward AQ-TROL-HP AquaTrol Salt Water Chlorine Generator for Above Ground Pools ( keep in mind the cells are not cheap, think 300$ for this model )

Good luck :)

Stand where you plan to put the pool and look up. If you see trees, make sure you are prepared to fight that battle. Leaf nets help.

If there aren't trees, look to see if neighbor's trees will eventually grow high enough to block the sun, drop leaves, pollen, etc., on to your pool.

The first couple years in our yard were nice. Each year it gets tougher. It's been 6 years and now loose almost 2 hours of sun because of a neighbor's tree that has grown so high. I also open nearly a month later, to avoid dealing with the heavy pollen season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I shopped here National Discount Pool Supplies - Above Ground Pools and Supplies
Very nice people and always take time to answer you questions.
The have good prices and free shipping and tax free unless you are in WI
I negotiated with them on my hard bottom and other building extras and got my pool in 3 days.
Some of the listings are there own name but it is easy to figure out what others call it just ask.

We just replaced our pool with a sharkline saltwater 8000. I like it compared to the one we had before and it has all stainless hardware. We've had an aquatroll for about 7 yrs. and I like it quite a bit, be prepared for it to stop working though. I believe we've been through at least 4 of them so far. 1st one didn't work out of the box 2nd one lasted a while and started leaking some kind of black stuff out of the cell so it was replaced 3rd one didn't work out of the box and got replaced 4th one I've changed a part on the board and it's still running, for how long I don't know. I'd try and find a 1hp pump, 1.5 is a bit much. Go with the thickest liner you can. Trust what you read here,this site will teach you how to confidently operate a pool. Check out Thepoolfactory.com

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.