Draining a vinyl liner pool

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
It is never a good idea to completely drain a vinyl lined pool unless you are replacing the liner. There are also risks with a plaster pool if you have a high water table. Draining sometimes makes getting rid of algae easier but the risk is not generally worth it.

When you drain a vinyl liner the liner no longer has the weight of the water holding it down and it will shrink. When you go to refill the pool it is nearly impossible to get the vinyl to stretch back out enough to go back into place. Most of the time the tension will tear the vinyl before you get very far in refilling the pool. Sometimes, when the liner is less than one year old and you have a very warm sunny day it can be gotten to stretch enough but even then it can rarely be gotten to stretch just right to go back into place at all evenly. If you have a high water table things can be even worse, shifting the ground under the liner enough to cause problems putting in a new liner.

Plaster pools are often alright, but if you have a high water table the pool can float right out of the ground. That will tear the plumbing out, damage the coping and often the deck as well, and cause the ground under the pool to shift. When the pool settles back down it will almost never go back to where it was and will often crack or even split in two.

Chris, on initial fill it is fresh from the factory and stretchable. I can attest to what Jason is saying. I have a vinyl liner pool and had to drain it several years ago after several seasons of severe pool storing. I almost lost my liner.

Keeping one foot of water in the shallow end is generally sufficent to keep the liner in place, as long as that is above the water table. You need to keep the water level above the water table or the exterior water pressure can deform the liner. Typically the water table is lower than that but it is good to check if you have any doubts.

If you are draining to replace water, ie lowering CYA levels or something similar, there is no need to allow the water level to go down at all. You can simply fill the pool at the same time you are draining it. This will require slightly more fill water for a given percentage of replacement but will go more quickly and is safer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.