Am I missing something?

Jun 12, 2014
Sharpsville, IN
Sooooo been battling my pool since the weekend before memorial day. Sand filter failed, thus spewing around 150 lbs of sand into my pool. That being said, I've been trying to vacuum to waste all the sand out of the bottom. The pool water was clear until I stirred everything up again on Friday and noticed the PH was really high so I added MA. Now my pool is insanely cloudy and will NOT clear up no matter what I do. Here are my 2 most recent readings (I forgot to write the others down)

6/7

FC: 7
CC: 0
TA: 340
CYA: 20
PH: 7.8+

Today:
FC: 4
CC: 1 <- Boo.
TC: 5
TA: 280 - Down some after a drain and a couple rains
CYA: 20
PH: 8.2+

Someone tell me what to do. I've used almost an entire gallon of MA to bring the PH down and it isn't happening. Noticed my CYA was in a big chunk in the sock so I beat it up and spread it throughout the pool via the jets spreading it. :confused:

So your CYA is suppose to be higher but it just clumped up in the sock correct?

First think that screams out is your TA. It is ridiculously high, which is why your pH goes up so quickly. I am not sure if you are saying that you can not get it down with MA, or you can not keep it down. If it is the latter, then you need to lower it a lot more. Lower down to 7.0 and let it rise to 7.4 then lower again. This process will SLOWLY bring your TA down. Lower TA Directions

As for the cloudiness, sounds like SLAM criteria, but I will let someone else confirm that it is not something else. You seem to have your FC in line, so it very well might be other.

With your TA that high, you need to buy a few shares of stock in a MA company...

Check your fill water's TA. If it is drastically lower then you might want to try a partial drain and refill.

What are you testing with btw? Might be a false reading if you are not using a good test kit.

- - - Updated - - -

If you decide to drain, hook up a vacuum and use the hose to siphon water out. Then you could be vacuuming sand and draining at the same time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.