New Pool Owner - Ready to Test WQ

Jun 9, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
My name is Earl. Me, my wife, and two kids are in the process of buying a new home that has an in-ground swimming pool. I'm an Environmental Engineer, so I'm anxious to do some water quality testing and to utilize the TFP techniques. We're not in the house yet, but i have checked out the equipment and purchased a Taylor K-2006 Test Kit. I've entered some estimates of the pool equipment into my signature. Once i have more information I'll update it. I know very little about pool maintenance, but I'm extremely interested in keeping my pool at its optimal condition. I look forward to interacting on the Forum. Thanks for having me!!!!

Welcome to the forum Earl! We hope to provide you with some rock-solid pool care information that will help enjoy your new pool and summer. In your profession, you might pass along a thing or two to us as well. :) Very happy to hear you have a great test kit. Your way ahead of many pool owners out there. Anytime you have a question, just post it. Many TFP'ers are surfin' the site just waiting to assist.

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to get some water samples in a few days, so I can test it out. The water looks ok from the naked eye, but obviously that means little at this point. I did notice a few small green dots on the surface of the pool in shallow areas. this could indicate some slight algae growth. The gunite surface is worn and not aesthetically pleasing in all areas, but the inspector says there's no structural issues. i plan on getting a pool repair guy out there to verify this. The pool also has a rock waterfall feature and plenty of rock/vegetation placed along side the pool. It a chlorine pool with a single speed pump set on a timer (approximately 6 hours during the evening). The filter is sand. The plumbing looks fairly new. Once I have some numbers to work with, I'll get back with y'all. Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool. Need to get some chlorine/bleach in that pool pronto before those little green spots turn in to a big green pool. It won't take long. If you don't know about how many gallons give us some dimensions and we can help. Pool School - PoolMath has a volume estimator too. Need to get about 4 ppm of bleach in there per day.

Sale will not be final until early July, but I've been checking out the pool via the realtor. Hopefully, I'll get some test results later today. I'll also eyeball the dimensions.

Edit: Until I get more definitive dimensions, I'd estimate it's between 10 ans 12 thousand gallons. Should I slowly introduce some bleach in there this evening? If so, how much? Or should I just get test results and regular access first?

TIA

There is a conundrum on how much chlorine to put in your pool. Chlorine level is set based on CYA level and the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart.

But, in the interests of making your future SLAM shorter I would put 2 gallons of PLAIN 8.25% bleach. No scents, splashless, easy pour ,etc. And then 1 gallon per day thereafter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've been reading and it does appear I need to replace the water. I saw the previous owner had some of those pucks in the storage shed, which appears to be the smoking gun in this scenario. A few questions:

1) I have some slight surface damage/plaster damage in the pool (mostly aesthetic issues such as chipping plaster). Would there be any risk in draining 75% of the pool if it is in this condition?
2) What is the recommended way to drain the pool? Rent a pump and refill with the garden hose?
3) Would the water harm any nearby landscaping if it is dumped in they yard?
4) I guess I'll need to Slam the water after refilling correct?

TIA

1) You do not want the plaster to be dry and exposed to the sun for very long. So multiple smaller drains might be better. You also need to be worried about your ground water level so the pool does not float out of the ground.

2) If you can isolate the floor drain, your pump might be able to pull the water out. Or rent/buy a submersible pump. Refill with a few garden hoses.

3) Nope, should be fine to water the plants with.

4) Yup. SLAM would be a good idea to ensure you are starting fresh.

Chlorine level is calculated based on CYA level and the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Since yours is 135, we'll use 140. Chart only goes to 100, so we will use 70x2. min 5x2=10, target 8x2=16, shock 28x2=56

To SLAM your pool you would need to maintain chlorine level at 56 ppm. To keep it from getting a lot worse you probably want to keep it at least 20ppm.

Go to Pool School - PoolMath and input your gallons, we'll use 12000, put FC NOW 0 and target 20, change percentage to 8.25 and hit calculate. It says to add 355oz, almost 3 jugs.

So, I would add 3 jugs the first day and 2-3 thereafter.

Ok, here's my plan. Please tell me if any of this is not the correct course of action. I would likely not begin this process until early to mid-July.

1) I'll replace the water in the pool through a series of 1/3 volume reductions (hopefully only require 3) until I get a CYA reading within the 50 to 60 ppm range
2) While performing the replacement process, I'll add liquid bleach to the water to ensure no algal blooms occur. I plan on adding 3 jugs of bleach a day until replacement is concluded.
3) Once CYA is at an appropriate level, SLAM the pool and begin a testing regime from there.
4) Modify WQ parameters as dictated by testing results.

TIA

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support