Trying to Upgrade my Coleman Pump

Which option is best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 9, 2015
Navarre/FL
Hello!

My wife and I bought our first above-ground pool and got the 18 foot Coleman. We have done a lot of research in regards to the pool filters/pumps and have also gone to some pool supply stores (Leslie's was the best). The research and stores all lead to the fact that the "out of the box filter/pump" is horrible and we need to upgrade to a sand filter/pump combo. I cannot find any Coleman sand filter/pump combos on the internet and Leslie's said Coleman has proprietary hose connections. I want to get the sand filter/pump combo but don't want to buy one that doesn't fit with my Coleman pool. Can anyone help out with my questions?

1) Are Intex and Coleman hoses interchangeable like some rumors say?
2) Does Coleman actually make sand filter/pump combos that I can order?
3) If the answer to the first two questions are no, does anyone have suggestions for my way ahead?

Thanks in advance!

I have been told that the Intex and Coleman fittings are the same, so the pumps should be interchangeable. To be certain, I suppose you could purchase an Intex replacement hose and try it. All of our local Academy sporting goods stores carry them.

Thanks very much! The closest Academy Sports is about 30 minutes away for me. The pump/filter combo I was looking at was Intex...but it was the saltwater version. Was told that the water in my area is so good that I don't need the extra cost and hassle of a saltwater system.

I do not know if we have a skimmer...but I am assuming that is recommended as well. And 1/2 hp pump is the best way to go? Some of my research says use a 1 hp.

- - - Updated - - -

1) yes
2) no

You're in good shape, use any of the intex stuff.

Thanks! I thought I was on the mark with Coleman not making them anymore. Is the combo unit still the best way to go or do you recommend separate pump and filter?

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Saltwat...p/B00PHX0D3O/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

This is the saltwater/sand pump/filter combo i was thinking about getting. The Leslie's Pool guy said he doesn't recommend saltwater for an 18 foot above ground pool

I've used salt water for 4 years starting with a 12' pool. It's easy on the eyes and skin, my kids don't wear goggles anymore. Every year all I do is put water and add cya and that's it. The salt/chlor generator does the rest. Just clean the copper plate in vinegar every month or so for optimal function. Good luck.

My advise is to buy the 2800gph Intex sand filter. The new Intex SWG with ECO does not have copper in it. I have one and it works great! Do not buy a "combo unit" that has the pump/filter and SWG all in one. Intex stuff has too much of a tendency to break. You do not want to have to replace the whole unit when one component stops working. Don't get me wrong, when I say it breaks, it usually lasts well long enough to be worth the money you paid. Just expect it to break down every couple years and need a replacement.

Also you said your water is so good it doesn't need a SWG? That comment does not make sense. A SWG is used to take salt in your water and convert it to chlorine. This makes it so you do not have to add chlorine manually. The salt is something you add one time when opening the pool, and maybe a little extra now and then when enough pool water gets splashed out. Your water quality from the tap has nothing to do with it.

My advise is to buy the 2800gph Intex sand filter. The new Intex SWG with ECO does not have copper in it. I have one and it works great! Do not buy a "combo unit" that has the pump/filter and SWG all in one. Intex stuff has too much of a tendency to break. You do not want to have to replace the whole unit when one component stops working. Don't get me wrong, when I say it breaks, it usually lasts well long enough to be worth the money you paid. Just expect it to break down every couple years and need a replacement.

Also you said your water is so good it doesn't need a SWG? That comment does not make sense. A SWG is used to take salt in your water and convert it to chlorine. This makes it so you do not have to add chlorine manually. The salt is something you add one time when opening the pool, and maybe a little extra now and then when enough pool water gets splashed out. Your water quality from the tap has nothing to do with it.

Thanks a ton everyone! I believe I will go with the saltwater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.