Need help with a 1700 liter Intex Pool (Setup, filter, etc)

Jun 9, 2015
canada
Hi everyone,

I am hoping to get a bit of advice on getting a pool we've had for about 5 years up and going. It's a very basic Intex above ground pool that measures 8' x 13.5' x 2' (approximately 6400 liters/1700 US Gallons).

In my lack of foresight, we have been using the same filter/pump system that Intex provides and, to be honest, it's been miserable. We are constantly having to deal with terrible water, and I've never, with all the chemicals suggested by various pool supply companies, been able to easily maintain the water condition.

My first goal is to get a replacement pump and filter, as the one currently with the pool is a mess to handle and works for ****, but I'm not exactly sure what to look for. We have the potential to get a sand filter with the following specifications:

jacuzzi model 20FM1L
20 gal/min/sqft
filter rate 44gal/minute

We would then still need a pump, but where I'm very lost is what type and flow speed of pump to get for a pool our size.

Getting those two things figured out would be I think a good first step taken far too long after purchasing the bloody thing, but better late than never, right? Once I get the filter and pump situation resolved, trying to figure out how to keep the water not gross would be my next step.

But I wonder, with a pool this size, what is the likelihood that good water health will be achievable without constant attention? Is it going to require daily upkeep?

Thanks so much in advance!

That filter has a 1200gph pump. Should be sufficient for your pool size. If you don't mind though, how much are you getting it for?

I think this would be a better option. http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Krystal...ords=intex+sand+filter&refinements=p_89:Intex

You might need adapters though, I am not sure. Normally a much larger pump is recommended, and is about the same price. For your size pool though I think the larger 2800gph one would be overkill.

As far as your water quality. This will not fix it. It will help immensely though.

You need to spend a few hours in Pool School!/

Read through those article until you know it very well. Buy one of the Recommended Test Kits. I know they are pricey, but they are mandatory to keeping a nice pool on your own.

Biggest advise... Stay out of the pool store forever! Stop listening to their advise, trusting their tests, etc.

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the delay!

Would you recommend maybe getting the 2100 gallon pump? The one we would be purchasing would be almost the same price, and I think I missed the boat (I decided to pass after reading your post).

I'll be taking some time in "Pool School" and I'll be snapping up the TFT Test kit, I just wish they weren't so bloody expensive, but I guess it's better to pay a bit more and not need it for quite some time!

2100 gph would be overkill for that size pool, unless you plan to upsize some day. My pool is 6000 gal and my 1600 gph pump works perfectly well for it.

Thanks again everyone - Picked up the filter today and it seems I'm a complete, utter idiot and I'm hoping upon hope that I didn't completely screw up.

I initially commented on my pool being an Intex pool. I was wrong, it's a bestway pool. I was trying to look for the manual, which I found, and while it seems like the connectors are very similar, I'm worried that I might not be able to get this to work.

I know, without a doubt, that I need to purchase quite a few more adapters, but I'm not sure what to get at this point. I'm not sure what diameter to get, and even looking at the parts in the Intex manual, I'm not easily able to find out what's needed to get this working.

The outlets for the Bestway pool look like what's shown in the Intex manual, the outlet "juts" out but the manual is incredibly confusing as to what parts are needed to get the pump up and working. There are 2 sets of pictures, one of them has a basic strainer and the other has a plunger valve. I'm going to try calling and talking to the people at Intex tomorrow and get their advice, but I really don't know what I need to purchase to get this up and working, and am also incredibly stressed :(

Thanks in advance, as always.

I can't seem to edit my post, I presume it's something to do with the maintenance...

Here's the picture of what I'm struggling with:

attachment.php

Also, it looks like the hose that's designed for this pump is OOS, http://www.intexcorp.com/11009.html, but I'm wondering if something like http://www.intexcorp.com/10720.html would work?

- - - Updated - - -

I can't seem to edit my post, I presume it's something to do with the maintenance...

Here's the picture of what I'm struggling with:

attachment.php

Also, it looks like the hose that's designed for this pump is OOS, http://www.intexcorp.com/11009.html, but I'm wondering if something like http://www.intexcorp.com/10720.html would work?

Attachments

• pool manual.jpg
    pool manual.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 116
Attached are some pics. Looks like I've got a 1 1/4" connectors.

Considering that the intex are 1 1/2, am I just fighting against the grain with this?

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 58

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Actually, I went to look at the Intex adaptor b, which are a variation on this, and they apparently are designed to go from 1.5 to 1.25... So I actually think I'm going to be 100% okay!

i went and ordered the hoses for the filter along with the strainer pieces which are 1.25, exactly what I've got.

I swear, my level of panic after thinking I'd have screwed up so badly was very high. This has really helped put my mind at ease.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.