LifeTime Supporter
Jul 22, 2010
Advance, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This is a really good thread as I have been in the same or similar situation this year. Since I have been doing BBB, never had a problem. This year, can't get the thing clear for love nor money. Now am looking to add the DE to my sand filter as well.

Regarding the DE, do you have to add it after every backwash? I backwash frequently, a few times a week, so this may not be so good.

Moderator note. This was split off this topic: Desperate -- pool party tomorrow. Cancel party? Floc? Yes, I HAVE BEEN SHOCKING! - Page 2

Why are you backwashing so often? You should only backwash when the pressure goes up 20-25%. If it is going up that much every week it may be time to deep clean the sand filter

Here is the article with the details on Adding DE to a Sand Filter with all the details. But, to answer your question yes you would have to add it again every time you backwash as the DE gets backwashed out.

You should only backwash when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.
You should not normally need to add DE, but if you are trying to remove the cloudiness toward the end of the SLAM process, then you can try it, and yes you would have to re-add it after every backwash.

That thread is not really following the TFPC methods due to them trying to make the pool passable for a party ... clearly the last picture in it is no where near our high standards of crystal clear water.

My filter usually runs at about 16-18 PSI. I for sure backwash when I see it climb to 20 PSI or above. Often times I backwash even before I see it hit that. I dunno why I do it so often, maybe just overzealous on trying to keep up on it.

FYI...I did do the Filter Deep Clean a week or so ago and honestly didn't see too much crud come out, but maybe that's because I do backwash a lot. Now granted I didn't spend hours doing the deep clean, but it just didn't seem necessary as there really wasn't much muck floating up. I also could not let it spill over nor could I remove the filter as it is in an enclosed pool house. All I did was run the hose until the filter was full, moving it around a lot, then sent it all to backwash (a couple times).

In any case, thanks for the feedback.

Yes, you add DE after each backwash. However, since you'll only be using a few ounces at a time and it comes in 25 lb bags, the expense won't be too great when spread out over two or three years.

Personally, I'd ask around and find someone with a DE pool and ask for an old margarine tub full of DE and try it before you invest in the whole bag.

Check this out. So I sent my wife to the only pool store in town to get some DE. They don't sell it. No idea why but they go on to tell her how I should not do this and that the sand needs to be replaced every 3 years. Seriously?! I would have thought better of this place as it is a one of and the guy has been around quite a while. They also seemed surprised when I was in there a couple years ago and I told them I used common bleach for chlorine. They also told yesterday her I need to use "different" bleach. Pfft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.