So everything was going great a few days ago. tested with TF100 for first time ever with these results:
K1000 Results:
pH 7.3
CL 3

TF100 Results:
FC 5
CC 0.5
TC 5.5
CH 50
TA 70
CYA 40

Then I got sick....Didn't touch or look at the pool for 5 days. When I finally did I had a green pool with zero chlorine and 8.2pH. Now after about twelve ours of pump running and added chlorine/muriatic I have FC 4, CC 0, pH7.5 and the pool is cloudy green but looking better. I'm thinking keep chlorine 5+ until clear and run pump continuos (will this hurt my pump?) until pool is clear and green cloud is gone. Does this sound good with my situation?
What should my next move be?

Well, with a small seasonal pool we usually recommend to just dump the water and start over if it goes green. But, it still works to SLAM it, you will just pay for a lot of chlorine.

So, with CYA of 40 your normal target should be 5 - so the shock level you need to hold is 16.

Read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end if you want to go the SLAM route.

You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
The water is clear.

Went bad in five days and now I have to slam. I had no idea that would happen in such a short period. A lot easier to just take the five minutes a day and check cl and add a dab. Next time I'm laid up sick I will still find energy/time because this isn't fun.

06/09/2015: 1500
FC 5
CC .5
CYA 50
Shock FC 20
Added 70oz 10%

06/09/2015: 1700
FC 13.5
CC 0
Added 33oz 10%

06/09/2015: 2000
FC 16
CC 0
Added 25oz 10%

Pump turned off last night for some reason. Started it back up at about 0400.

06/10/2015: 0800
FC 13.5
CC 0
Added 33oz 10%
Vacuumed and scrubbed
Looking less green and more cloudy

06/10/2015: 1000
FC 22
CC 0
Added 5oz 10% due to not being able to monitor again until 1400 or later

06/10/2015: 1200
FC 19.5
CC 0
Added 20oz 10% to bring it past 20 since I won't be back for a while.

06/10/2015: 1700
FC 12
CC 0
Added 40oz 10%

06/10/2015: 1900
FC 18
CC 0
Added 20oz 10%

06/11/2015: 0400
FC ?
CC ?
Added 15oz

06/11/2015: 0800
FC 23
CC 0
Added 0

06/11/2015: 1200
FC 18
CC 0
Added 20oz

06/11/2015: 1700
FC 9
CC 0
added 73oz

06/09/2015: 1500
18533237420_3efbe351ac_b.jpg

06/10/2015: 1000

18098282634_985e3e3f85_b.jpg

06/10/2015:1700
18533119778_ee182356fc_b.jpg

06/11/2015: 0900
Still a little cloudy with white floaty stuff
18533075578_9e54630bd4_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had that same pool back in the day and can attest to the fact that the water got warm REAL fast. Here in the Lone Star state, it's blazin' hot already, so I'm not surprised all your FC burned-off so fast and it turned on you. Hope you and your pool get well soon. :)

Went to pick up more bleach 10% and told the guy what I was doing. He said when vacuuming the bottom a sand filter won't filter out the algae and I need to set it to waste mode. Is this information correct?
Not true.

Go read some other green pool threads here and see how often they have to backwash with a sand filter. This one is going on right now. Helping a friend: This should be a good one

You can improve the sand filter's performance some when you get to the final phases by adding DE to it, but the sand filter can clear that no problem.

Go read some other green pool threads here and see how often they have to backwash with a sand filter. This one is going on right now. Helping a friend: This should be a good one

You can improve the sand filter's performance some when you get to the final phases by adding DE to it, but the sand filter can clear that no problem.

Thanks Richard for your help and guidance.
So I have something that some what resembles an oil slick on the surface but it is a thin white particle layer. From what i've been reading it is probably dead algae but not exactly sure. I think the particulates are getting pretty micro and so tomorrow Im going to add DE to my sand in order to filter out the smaller microns a bit better. Scroll up to where I've kept all my adds and photos to get an idea of where I am from where I've come from. I'm pretty proud of it so far and I've documented above fairly well.

Im following that thread now and I'm irritated he hasn't updated more....the suspense is killing me :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The froth ended a while back. Now I have a blue pool with a white cloudiness. On top it has a thin layer that kinda resembles skin oil and a lot of dead skin cells if that works as a description. I'm betting on the DE to help grab this stuff up.

No idea how to fix the photo issue. I'm using dropbox and adding the url. Maybe i should switch over to flicker and try that. Really wish you could see it.

- - - Updated - - -

Just make sure you can be around to watch the pressure with the DE. I can go up fast while it works.

Kim

Thanks Kim,
About how long before it balances out and I don't have to worry about it shooting up any more? How long do the affects of the DE infusion last? Is it something that I will have to add every now and again or once it's in it's in until the sand is switch.?.?

The froth ended a while back. Now I have a blue pool with a white cloudiness. On top it has a thin layer that kinda resembles skin oil and a lot of dead skin cells if that works as a description. I'm betting on the DE to help grab this stuff up.

No idea how to fix the photo issue. I'm using dropbox and adding the url. Maybe i should switch over to flicker and try that. Really wish you could see it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Kim,
About how long before it balances out and I don't have to worry about it shooting up any more? How long do the affects of the DE infusion last? Is it something that I will have to add every now and again or once it's in it's in until the sand is switch.?.?
The pressure can shoot up in as little as 15 minutes. And when you backwash, it washes out and you need to add more. Have you read Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

The pressure can shoot up in as little as 15 minutes. And when you backwash, it washes out and you need to add more. Have you read Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

I did. I just don't remember reading anything about how long it lasts or when you need to replace. I knew the pressure could shoot up quick but within in the hour should be stablized and to expect it to go up do to catching smaller particles as well. I didn't recall reading about the backwash washing it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Sad to say, your photos disappeared. I just see the icon but no image.

I just reposted one photo using flickr. Could you tell me if it is visible or if I need to continue working on my picture issue?

Just wanted to say I appreciate all the guidance. I am kinda glad this happened to me because I learned a lot and more of what I read on this site makes since. I passed all three criteria for completing a SLAM and all has been well. My only issue is my daily chlorine loss is a little bit high but I am dealing with this concern in a new post. So this thread is officially done and my issue resolved!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.