Adding Bleach to a Liner Pool - What is the safest Method - is my suggestion good?

caliskier

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
All,

What is the safest method of adding bleach to a liner pool to maximize the life of the liner? I have seen different posts, some say to go around the parimeter, some say to pour it over the returns and then sweep...

What about this idea...

With the pump running, adjust the valves to shut out the drain and all skimmers but one, so that one skimmer gets max power. Pour the bleach directly and slowly into the skimmer at a rate of 1 gallon per min or 64oz in 30 seconds. Allow the pool to circulate only pulling from that skimmer for 5 min. After 5 min turn the other skimmers and drains back on. (BTW, I have 3 skimmers, 2 drains with the pool and hot tub).

I would think this would mix with the water best shooting it directly out of the returns. Is there any concern with doing this, could this damage the skimmer or PVC pipes being such a high concentration?

This post is because I read an article on taking care of liners and I know the previous home owner violated that article and so did I until strarting to learn how to take care of the pool from this site.

Thanks all...

Thanks, you guys certainly know what you are doing, but I am curious what is the risk to adding directly to the skimmer? I have a seperate post and I am worried that SLAMIng damaged my liner, we poured over the returns for the mostly in the deep end, did not sweep every time however. I just thought that slowly going in the skimmer to the pump and out the jets would get it done more efficiently and safer for the liner...

Too high of a chlorine concentration for seals and stuff that has any in it mostly.

Humm, yeah, that could be an issue. I am worried more about the PVC and the skimmer, the seals I can replace a lot easier than the liner or the PVC. Is there any concern with the PVC? The liner is only 5 years old and I know the previous owner just threw grannuals straight into the pool every day. Its already looking like it is 10 years old. All wrinkled, faded, stained at the water line, and 3 holes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If one was to go against the flow of tfp and add it to the skimmer, it would be better to have all the skimmers and drains open so the chlorine is as dilute as possible when it gets to the pump. With only one skimmer running you have a lot higher concentration of chlorine in the lines and not as much flow from the returns to mix with the water. BTW, my liner looks bad too. The previous owner just sprinkled granular shock around the edges. Literally faded solid white in one area. And it continues to get worse on its own despite following tfp to a T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If one was to go against the flow of tfp and add it to the skimmer, it would be better to have all the skimmers and drains open so the chlorine is as dilute as possible when it gets to the pump. With only one skimmer running you have a lot higher concentration of chlorine in the lines and not as much flow from the returns to mix with the water. BTW, my liner looks bad too. The previous owner just sprinkled granular shock around the edges. Literally faded solid white in one area. And it continues to get worse on its own despite following tfp to a T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, TFP is the best, saved a ton of money here. They know their stuff, im seeing things and learning... going to have to tell my wife to follow the guidlines in the link jb provided.

Yes, if you drop granules into the pool, it can damage the liner. If the damage is above the water line, that was not likely caused by the standard pool chemicals (IMHO). It was the sun or other other chemical or physical damage. If the pool were left unattended for season/winter, it could have algae, leaf or dirt stains.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.