CYA Level Raised More than Planned

MT

Jun 27, 2013
Orange County, NY
We just had our pool remodel finished last week. New vinyl liner and had water trucked in. Tested using my kit at home the other day and had CYA = 0. Pool stored tested it as well and said CYA= 2ppm.

So I went to Wally World and bought Stabalizer/Conditioner, brand HTH. Says it is 96% CYA. I have a 20,000 gal pool. Yesterday, I added 8 lbs of the stuff using socks in front of returns method. Today I tested my CYA and it appears to be at 100ppm!!! Which is crazy because according to the instructions of the HTH product, 8 lbs should only have raised my CYA to 40-50ppm maximum.

Is the CYA test that subjective that my CYA is probably much lower than 100ppm? or are the HTH product directions that far off? Based on pool calc, I would have expected the CYA to go no higher than 50ppm.

I had the same thing happen to me with HTH stabilizer/conditioner. I added 7lbs trying to get my CYA to 40-50 range. Ended up at 80 and have had trouble getting it to lower. Next time, I will know to do it gradually. Sounds like you will be doing a lot of draining and refilling to bring that number down.

If your pool is 20k and you added 8 lbs of CYA, you can be just about 100% sure your CYA is 45 ppm.

The dosage is the critical thing. How are you testing? Is your procedure spot on?

It would be impossible for your CYA to be 100 unless you put in enough to get to 100 and it doesn't seem like you did.

Went to the pool store this morning and had my water tested. They get CYA reading of 43 ppm. So that falls right in line with what I added. That kit test with the black dot in the bottom of the tube was giving my reading this morning somewhere between 70 and 90. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the test? I've always found it to be hit or miss, I've been using Taylor kits for 2 years, and got all new refills for this year I'm using. Getting some "off" numbers with other stuff but I'll start a new thread for that.

Test CYA with your back to the sun and the tube(s) held at your waist. Following this each time will give you a more consistent and accurate reading.

One of the Senior Members also recommended shake for 30 sec, pause and then shake for another 30 sec to ensure it's mixed well. I follow it and get pretty consistent results each time I test.

Here's a link to a video to help with the CYA test: Testing Cyanuric Acid with the TF-100 - YouTube

Also, I recently purchased the 50ppm compare water from TFTestkits.net to help a newbie friend learn to read it right ( because the water is a known qty of cya) and discovered that I tend to read about 5 pm "light". It was kinda revealing and helped me so maybe it would help you too ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.