Polaris 360 hoses keep springing leaks every few months

Jun 22, 2013
I've been a pool owner for almost 3 years. First year I don't recall having any issues with the hose of the 360. The past 2 years I seem to have at least one section of hose spring a leak every 2-3 months and its costing me a fortunate. Any tips/ideas on what the issue might be? I thought about slighting turning down the water flow into the Polaris thinking too much water/pressure was coming through?

Not sure if its related, but timing would be right - warranty company replaced the motor and I know the new one has a bit higher HP.

Which hose do you have, the corrugated white hose or the smaller clear hose?

I think you are on the right track with the excess water pressure. Only way to know for sure is to jump in the pool with the 360, put a mark on the single wheel side rim (I used a pencil). Then count wheel revolutions for one minute. I had my wife help me with this, she kept the timer while I was in the pool holding the cleaner. You should get 28 - 32 RPMs in one minute.

Anything over 32, and you are feeding too much water to the 360. If this is the case, you can change out the pressure relief/bypass valve at the wall fitting. I had to do this earlier this year after I rebuilt my 360. I have a 2 HP pump and had 40 RPMs. I changed out the white pressure relief valve with a blue one, which brought the RPM down the 32. You can fine tune the relief valve too by partially unscrewing it. I believe there are 4 different relief/bypass valves.

Which hose do you have, the corrugated white hose or the smaller clear hose?

I think you are on the right track with the excess water pressure. Only way to know for sure is to jump in the pool with the 360, put a mark on the single wheel side rim (I used a pencil). Then count wheel revolutions for one minute. I had my wife help me with this, she kept the timer while I was in the pool holding the cleaner. You should get 28 - 32 RPMs in one minute.

Anything over 32, and you are feeding too much water to the 360. If this is the case, you can change out the pressure relief/bypass valve at the wall fitting. I had to do this earlier this year after I rebuilt my 360. I have a 2 HP pump and had 40 RPMs. I changed out the white pressure relief valve with a blue one, which brought the RPM down the 32. You can fine tune the relief valve too by partially unscrewing it. I believe there are 4 different relief/bypass valves.

Thanks I'll give that a try - I have the corrugated white hose - didn't realize there were other options, might have to look into that clear one - is it any better/cheaper?

I don't think it's any better, just different. Changing from one to the other would involve a new wall fitting, new hose, swivel connectors and floats, and a new fitting on the 360. They are different materials, the white corrugated one is PVC plastic, and the smaller hose is clear rubber tubing (similar to the tail sweep hose, just bigger).

I have the white corrugated hose and don't have much issue with it. I did spring a leak last year, but that was mainly my fault. I kinked the hose accidently while it was running and caused it to split. That happened near the wall fitting so I cut a few inches off and reconnected it. Other that that I've replaced 2 old swivel connectors that fell apart.

My 360 is likely as old as the pool itself, which was built around 1992. It got it's first rebuild earlier this year. I'm sure the hose is the same age too. Both have held up remarkably well over time.

They do not like to be driven hard, which is why Polaris has the wheel RPM test. The 360 is the only cleaner in their lineup that does not require it's own boost pump, it runs off of the main pump. Because of the wide variety and power of pumps, they have the different relief/bypass valves for the wall fitting to get the proper flow to the cleaner.

I don't think it's any better, just different. Changing from one to the other would involve a new wall fitting, new hose, swivel connectors and floats, and a new fitting on the 360. They are different materials, the white corrugated one is PVC plastic, and the smaller hose is clear rubber tubing (similar to the tail sweep hose, just bigger).

I have the white corrugated hose and don't have much issue with it. I did spring a leak last year, but that was mainly my fault. I kinked the hose accidently while it was running and caused it to split. That happened near the wall fitting so I cut a few inches off and reconnected it. Other that that I've replaced 2 old swivel connectors that fell apart.

My 360 is likely as old as the pool itself, which was built around 1992. It got it's first rebuild earlier this year. I'm sure the hose is the same age too. Both have held up remarkably well over time.

They do not like to be driven hard, which is why Polaris has the wheel RPM test. The 360 is the only cleaner in their lineup that does not require it's own boost pump, it runs off of the main pump. Because of the wide variety and power of pumps, they have the different relief/bypass valves for the wall fitting to get the proper flow to the cleaner.

Thanks for the info - I glanced at Amazon - would I need a new relief valve & wall fitting or just relief valve? I feel like its getter harder and harder to remove at the wall so I may just buy all new parts

Just the relief valve. They come in different colors to indicate the strength of the spring inside it. The white one has a very strong spring, which means that a lot of water will go to the 360 and little out the relief valve. The blue one has a softer spring and will bypass more water away from the 360. There is a red one, but I have no idea how strong the spring is inside it. The relief valve just screws into the side of the wall fitting. I changed the white one I was originally using to a blue one and my wheel RPM went from 40 or so to 32.

Had you measured the wheel RPM yet?

Just the relief valve. They come in different colors to indicate the strength of the spring inside it. The white one has a very strong spring, which means that a lot of water will go to the 360 and little out the relief valve. The blue one has a softer spring and will bypass more water away from the 360. There is a red one, but I have no idea how strong the spring is inside it. The relief valve just screws into the side of the wall fitting. I changed the white one I was originally using to a blue one and my wheel RPM went from 40 or so to 32.

Had you measured the wheel RPM yet?

Tested the RPMs - came back at 29 - back to the drawing board....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.