Why Do Filter Pressure Gauges Go to 60 PSI?

May 3, 2015
Moorpark, CA
My filter pressure gauge window is cloudy, so I would like to replace it. I noticed pool filters ship with 60 psi gauges. My filter is dirty is needs backwashing with flow way down (need parts to attach backwash hose yet), and it is only reading to 21 psi. Can the pressure actually approach 60 psi, or even get over 30 psi?

Mas985, our pump and hydraulics guru, reports that pool pumps do not get over 35 psi and that would be a complete blockage of the pump.

Factory gauges mostly are cheap and go all the way to 60 because somebody didn't think it through, IMO. The 30 psi liquid filled are a true step up....larger, more precise, freeze-protect to -4 F.

I think the only reported psi in excess of 30 here on the forum is because the gauge was broken.

Gauges are generally the most accurate at 50% of their range, i.e. a 60 psi gauge will be the most accurate at 30 psi. Also, your filter is probably rated at 50 psi, so the manufacturer should spec a gauge that would show if you are approaching its operating range. I think they pick a gauge to safeguard the equipment they supply and that is most accurate for most applications.

I can see that as a liability issue, after all who knows how people will hook stuff up. I remember years ago taking a class where we had a guest lecturer on the topic of liability, one of his case examples was a water filter that exploded at a laundromat in Florida. Lawyers were of course involved, as it turns out someone had installed a common pool sand filter to filter water for the washing machines, over time it clogged up and pressure went up, then boom. The sad thing is the manufacturer was found liable even though it was not being used as intended.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can see that as a liability issue, after all who knows how people will hook stuff up. I remember years ago taking a class where we had a guest lecturer on the topic of liability, one of his case examples was a water filter that exploded at a laundromat in Florida. Lawyers were of course involved, as it turns out someone had installed a common pool sand filter to filter water for the washing machines, over time it clogged up and pressure went up, then boom. The sad thing is the manufacturer was found liable even though it was not being used as intended.

Grrr ... that annoys me about our legal system. How can a company be liable for misuse of product?

I would think they probably use the 60 PSI in other gauges they make that are not just pool gauges, but for more sophisticated applications. That is one less part they have to make and keep that would work on multiple gauge products.

But you should be cleaning the filter at a 20-25% rise over the clean pressure ... which for a clean of 18-19psi would be at 22-23psi.

60psi gauges are pointless in 99+% of pools.

But you should be cleaning the filter at a 20-25% rise over the clean pressure ... which for a clean of 18-19psi would be at 22-23psi.

60psi gauges are pointless in 99+% of pools.

Why do the mfgs use 60 PSI? The reason is if the pump can produce the pressure, you should be able to monitor it. My car has a 180mph speedometer, don't use much more than half of it either. I backwash at 25psi or so. Been doing it that way for 16 years now with no issues.

I backwash at 25psi or so. Been doing it that way for 16 years now with no issues.
The chances are quite good that you are using more electricity than necessary. a clean psi of 18-19 is pretty high to begin with and if you get to 30 or so, your flow restriction is such that your system is noticeably less efficient.

I would figure out why your psi is so high to begin with but even then you should be backwashing around 23 for best efficiency.

I got one of the gauges from TFtestkits just a few days ago. Here is a link to my review of it.
I havent put it on my filter yet because I'm naturally lazy. Im waiting till its time to clean the cartridges, and will put it on then.
:)

Pressure Gauge

The most I've seen on the gauge is 21.5 psi. That's why I thought a 30 psi gauge would be better suited to seeing the pressure at a glance, and would be more accurate, too.

I appreciate everyone's input. Interesting reading!

Interesting note from Winters' website below. Again, I am still a proponent of using a 30# tft gauges.

Range
Pressure Range
It is important to select a pressure range that is approximately twice the normal operating pressure of the media. The maximum operating pressure should not exceed 75% of the full scale range. If a gauge is not selected considering these criteria, it may result in fatigue of the Bourdon tube.

Interesting note from Winters' website below. Again, I am still a proponent of using a 30# tft gauges.

Range
Pressure Range
It is important to select a pressure range that is approximately twice the normal operating pressure of the media. The maximum operating pressure should not exceed 75% of the full scale range. If a gauge is not selected considering these criteria, it may result in fatigue of the Bourdon tube.

I saw that, too. Since my plugged up, almost no flow pressure seems to be 22 psi or 73% of full scale, I figured I was safe. Also I don't plan on letting it get this high in the future, once I have everything I need to back flush (new house for me). I am hoping to back flush for the first time this weekend. I'm anxious to see what my "clean pressure" is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.