Color LED Light Upgrade Option Reviews

First off, thanks so much for this forum. I purchased a house with a pool a couple years back, and knew nothing about pool ownership/maintenance. this forum has been a life-saver, and although I haven't posted previously, I've lurked around gaining info for years.

Anyway, my questions for today is about Color LED Light Upgrade options for my pool. I've assessed that I have Pentair/Amerlite niches with 120v Edison screw-in bulbs in them. Of the three lights in the pool, the one I'm looking to replace first is the 500w in the deep-end as it's burned out. Provided that goes well, I'll end up replacing the other two fixtures in the shallow end as well. It appears that my options for plug/play screw in Edison bulbs to fit my current fixtures are:

1.) Pentair AmerBrite Color LED Replacement Lamp - 120v [602065]
2.) J&J ColorSplash 2G or 3G Bulb
3.) Random SMD LED and LED bulbs of unknown origin off Amazon/Ebay

I've read a couple reviews of the ColorSplash both here and on other sites, but really haven't seen any reviews of the AmerBrite Color LED replacements. Was wondering if anyone had these in their pools and what their thoughts were on them. Extra Bonus Points if you've had or seen both the ColorSplash and the AmerBrite and could compare the two.

Finally, while not off the table completely, I would like to avoid having to replace the whole fixture with something like an Intellibrite system is possible, as I don't particularly trust the pool contractor that built the pool based on other finders over the last couple years, and I'm concerned that I might run into troubles fishing the approximately 400' of combined umbilical cord from the three fixtures. That said, does anyone know of any major advantages of going with a whole new fixture as opposed to just using a new LED bulb in my current fixture? They would certainly have to be compelling to justify the added expense/effort.

Again, thank you all so much.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Sorry you have not gotten any quicker responses.

I just have the ColorSplash 3G, no experience with the others. Make sure you replace the gasket when you replace the bulb.

I would not replace the fixture unless it is rusted and leaking.

thanks so much for your response Jason! I'm wondering if it's just that not too many people have made the switch, seeing as how this community is usually extremely helpful when members have info... In any case, thanks for the heads up on the gasket and the advice on the fixtures. I'll be sure to switch out the gasket, and cross my fingers that everything stays watertight... it currently is, so as long as i don't screw it up too bad on the install, I should be ok :) I'll probably end up making a purchase on either the ColorSplash 3G or the AmerBrite Color LED in the next couple weeks. Either way, I'll be sure to post some photos and a brief review after I get it installed. maybe it can help the next guy!

thanks so much for your response Jason! I'm wondering if it's just that not too many people have made the switch, seeing as how this community is usually extremely helpful when members have info... In any case, thanks for the heads up on the gasket and the advice on the fixtures. I'll be sure to switch out the gasket, and cross my fingers that everything stays watertight... it currently is, so as long as i don't screw it up too bad on the install, I should be ok :) I'll probably end up making a purchase on either the ColorSplash 3G or the AmerBrite Color LED in the next couple weeks. Either way, I'll be sure to post some photos and a brief review after I get it installed. maybe it can help the next guy!

following this thread with interest- I've been wondering about swapping out the 500W (2) lights in my in ground pool with LEDs. When I asked my pool contracting SME for information (I just replaced the liner) he told me the job would entail running new wiring as well as the fixtures. Seeing it took so long to get the liner replaced, I'm not anxious to start another "adventure" with him just yet...

Hi Mark,
I'll be sure to post my results... I ended up ordering one of the Pentair AmerBrite Color LED Replacement Lamp - 120v [602065] to replace my dead 500w. It should arrive tomorrow and I should hopefully get it installed early next week. I'll be sure to post my feedback and some photos... the photos may be a bit disappointing, as I will still have 2 old white bulbs in addition to the new color one (which will probably wash out the color effects), but I'll see what I can do. While I don't have any experience with these color LED replacements, my parents new pool does have a couple Jandy Watercolor LED lights installed and I've spent a fair bit of time looking at them, so I'll try and compare color and brightness based on those.

As promised, I got the new Pentair Amerbrite Color LED replacement light installed yesterday. Installation was extremely easy (first time changing a bulb in the pool). It can with a new lens, gasket, and metal collar ring compression wire to hold everything together. I noticed that their was a little water in the old fixture, which probably led to it’s failure. I was a bit concerned, but it appears that the new gasket has fixed that issue as it’s now dry.

So, the install was easy, though the new lights completely fill the enclosure, as opposed to the old bulbs, which just sat in the center with a bunch of room around them. I’m fine with that, as it actually looks like a cleaner install.

You have 2 options for lens position for lighting style (narrow beam and wide beam)… given it’s location, I went with wide-beam… broader coverage, but less intense. Due to the placement on the other two fixtures, I would probably use narrow beam on one of both of them.

As far as the lighting quality. I’m absolutely satisfied with it. The attached photos don’t really do it justice because the other lights are definitely effecting the full look and because cell-phone cameras have issues with LED lights in general. That said, I can tell that if I had three in the pool it would awesome. Even with one, the deep end is illuminated well. It’s not the same as a bright yellow-ish white light (it’s softer, more subtle and obviously colored), but you can still see everything clearly in the pool (individual pebbles in the pebbletec on the bottom/sides of the pool, and clearly see the cleaning robot). I would have no hesitation about swimming at night in a pool lit with these. You can see plenty, and the color effects are really cool!

As mentioned by others with color lights, some colors work better than others (partially because of color rendering with LEDs and partially because of pool color). Red is pretty terrible (not much saturation and dark), but the blues, greens, and purples look awesome. White is nice as as well, and gives a much truer color rendering of the actual pool than the other “warm white” bulbs.

Suffice it to say, when by budget allows, I will absolutely be adding two more of these to the pool to complete the look. I’ll be sure to post pictures when completed as well… knowing me, I only make it a couple weeks before I convince myself that my budget allows for them…

I have attached a few images as well…

Image 1 - pool in daylight (so you can see color, etc) - http://www.troublefreepool.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38948&stc=1&d=1435237262

Image 2 - same angle, but at night… you can see the comparison of the lights - http://www.troublefreepool.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38949&stc=1&d=1435237311

Image 3 - blue lighting on just the deep end where the light is - http://www.troublefreepool.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38950&stc=1&d=1435237381

Attachments

• IMG_0887.jpg
    IMG_0887.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_0896.jpg
    IMG_0896.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 662
Hey HorsepowerPro that looks AWESOME! :bowdown:
As I mentioned before, just got the liner replaced. Noticed one of the lights was not seated properly and called the pool guy back over... Well during the investigation it was discovered that the fixture has been leaking through the power cord seal, it was a third full of water. I'm calling it a safety issue~:drown: I'm going to do a replacement, why entrust your family to a $10.00 GFI?:poke:
So, I'm going to celebrate Father's Day and treat myself to some Pentair Intellibrite 5G color LEDs, (But I'm NOT going with the Pool Guy's quote).... I was able to locate the units I want for a bit more than half the price I was quoted and ordered them up. I hope to have them installed before the 4th of July, and before the grandkids visit for a extended stay. I'll keep you posted and post pics when available.:cheers:

Bummer to have to do a full replacement, but I agree completely on the safety front... I'm always extra cautious with any of the electrical stuff when it comes to the pool... I think you're going to love the Intellibrites... I think what I installed is a pretty close match (I know the color settings are the same), and I know they said that you could mix and match Intellibrites with the Ameribrites LED replacement bulbs (and they communicate with each other), so they must be pretty similar. Can't wait to see your pictures... should make for an awesome 4th of July!

Hey HorsepowerPro that looks AWESOME! :bowdown:
As I mentioned before, just got the liner replaced. Noticed one of the lights was not seated properly and called the pool guy back over... Well during the investigation it was discovered that the fixture has been leaking through the power cord seal, it was a third full of water. I'm calling it a safety issue~:drown: I'm going to do a replacement, why entrust your family to a $10.00 GFI?:poke:
So, I'm going to celebrate Father's Day and treat myself to some Pentair Intellibrite 5G color LEDs, (But I'm NOT going with the Pool Guy's quote).... I was able to locate the units I want for a bit more than half the price I was quoted and ordered them up. I hope to have them installed before the 4th of July, and before the grandkids visit for a extended stay. I'll keep you posted and post pics when available.:cheers:
I have the exact same issue, main light is leaking through the power cord, need a new fixture. Can you describe the process? Are you having the wire completely pulled and all new from fixture to circuit breaker? Or just cut old fixture off, splice in the new fixture and carry on?

Regards,

I have the exact same issue, main light is leaking through the power cord, need a new fixture. Can you describe the process? Are you having the wire completely pulled and all new from fixture to circuit breaker? Or just cut old fixture off, splice in the new fixture and carry on?

Regards,

Hey JohnyGluebag,

The plan is to either pull a line back from the switch out to the pool to pull the new cable to the switch or cut off the fixture and use the power line to pull in the new cable to the switch from the pool.:rambo:
But I'm not planning on going back to the breaker other than to shut off the circuit to do the work, going to the switch used to control the lights should do the trick.:study:
However- splicing the cable inline at the fixture is a bad idea- It will leak and potentially hurt or even kill somebody! Play it safe and pull the cable! :safe::grin:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thanks for the tip, bmwhd. I hadn't considered the temperature issue, but that makes sense for sure as I know most LEDs microprocessor are both pretty sensitive to heat and also put out a bunch, meaning it usually only takes a bit more to fry them. I was just looking at my spa light the other day and realized that it is smaller than my pool lights, and as such, Amerbrite does not offer the replacement color LED like they do for the pool. I did see that the colorsplash made a spa size though, so I'll probably give that a shot. My pool and spa lights are on separate circuits and switches, so even if I stayed with all one brand, I doubt they would have ever synced/talked to each other anyway. not a big deal to me at all. Thanks for the info!

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but are you still happy with your Pentair Amerbrite 120V LED Color Replacement Pool Light Bulb Kit- 602065 ?

The 500w incandescent I had burned out because I left th light on while draining the pool at night.

Do you find the replacement to be as powerful as your old incandescent 500w when using white?

Are the light shows nice?

Do you find it difficult scrolling through different light option by powering on/off?

It's priced at around $170 on Amazon, seems reasonable.

Thanks

Hi, I have the colorsplash 3G. Its nice however its not as bright as a 500W halogen bulb. I'd say 350-400W max comparison. The ice blue and white are the brightest. It would be fine if you have a 2 or more lights on the pool, but if your like me and you only have 1 light then its just not bright enough.

I am going to purchase the pentair 5G led 500W equivalent white colored light tomorrow and hopefully get it installed too.

If it is 500W equivalent it should do the trick.

Ill probably sell the colorsplash on craigslist, great product.

I just picked up this cheap option to give it a try this season. Happy so far for a fraction of the price.

80314cb3fa7aaa419acbe203093b8195.png
c4264ef98af950ef50162f6aa31d6012.jpg
https://vimeo.com/177726149

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to revive this thread as I also have a Pentair Amerilite fixture in my pool and spa and would like to upgrade them to LED without spending a fortune. Anyone have any other success stories with this type of approach to LED conversion?

I'd like to revive this thread as I also have a Pentair Amerilite fixture in my pool and spa and would like to upgrade them to LED without spending a fortune. Anyone have any other success stories with this type of approach to LED conversion?

I'm happy with the Pentair Amerbrite 120V LED Color Replacement Pool Light Bulb Kit- 602065 I bought.

Some colors are useless and won't light up the pool, I'm not sure I will actually ever use the light show other than saying, hey look I can tuna. Light show.

I use it with my Hayward Aqua Logic system, it's annoying to choose the color, you have to turn it off and on so many times, so you will need to refer to a chart to select the right color with the right number of one and offs, not sure if there is a way to simplify this.

Typically in using the blue or white and that's it, so maybe I should have just gone for a white LED bulb.

The Colorsplash bulbs from J and J Electronics were updated last fall - new designs, I think the model is LXG now. I waited on the new design and replaced my burned out spa light - have been very happy with it. My original bulbs were plain white. If you have automation, they control just like an original Pentair LED bulb would.

The spa bulb wattage was rated about the same as my original, but I don't think their bigger Pool LED bulb is rated quite the same. I found the ratings last year on their site, but I don't see where they mention it any longer. The plain white Pentair bulb is 500 watts, the Colorsplash replacement I think only equated to 350 or 400 watts. So when using white it may not be as bright and of course none of the colors are as bright. According to their website this bulb will fit the Amerilite 784 series housings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.