Trying to Decide Finish prior to meeting with Builder

TsTime

Jun 4, 2015
San Diego CA
Hello all, we are in the design stage and the pool finish is a BIG financial and desire decision for us. 2 catalogs left from prospective PB's are from Gemstone and NPT. We were leaning towards plaster for financial reasons but understand the builders do not warranty them and want to get it right at first after reading "change order" threads. Another consideration is feel to the foot, we have infants and my wife's feet can be sensitive so the right decision is important. My questions are

Gemstone vs NPT, same quality & cost?

Is mini pebble same as pebble sheen?

Is the quartz finish an economical alternative?

Does the stone or quartz finish offer that much sparkle and warranty to justify?

I am confused why the builders would not warrant the plaster?

Next question is for thread start or continue existing. When I start this "finish thread" do I start a new thread for "Questions for Builder". Thanks for reading.

photo 1.jpg

We went back and forth with this decision for weeks. We finally decided on Wetedge Satin Matrix line. It's a pebble but it's smooth pebbles. We came to this by seeing both Quartz pools and pebble pools. The pebble pools held up better. Saw both finishes on pools that were 5 years old, and the pebble looked brand new.
Here is a pic of a Quartz pool someone posted on here: see the discoloration?
659d4354b1cd26c63cc3d8d76a291986.jpg

That pool was 9 days old and I bet the builder got most of it fixed with an acid wash. But you have to make sure your chemicals are near perfect for the Quartz to look it's best.

Yes pebble is a bit more money but worth it in the long run.

Welcome to TFP.

You can keep all of your build related questions in this thread for continuity and future reference.

Yes, quartz is an economical alternative between plaster and a pebble. There are lots of happy quartz people here.

Any pool surface is going to be rough on your feet after a point when rough housing. I have had sore feet from plaster and from pebblesheen. No experience with quartz. I don't rough house nearly as much as I lounge. But, I can certainly play in the pool for hours without my feet being sore. Last time my feet hurt was a 3 day pool party and I was in the pool a LOT with teenagers and such! I wonder if our feet toughen up over time because it certainly has been a while since I had sore pool feet. We swim nearly every day in season.

thanks so much for your takes and photo and advise on thread activity. I will search more in forum re quartz. Below is a list of questions for potential builders interview, please critique and add thanks

4-7-4 Depth

Middle Bench 8’

Skimmer(s) Placement

Water fill location

Bond beam explanation

Coping Precast or pour

Tile is there a store or samples

Drains and location

Water inlet returns

Finish: quartz or pebble sheen

References :2 builds in progress 3 most recent 2-5yrs built

Equip. (Pool Serviceby Contractor)

2 speed VS variable and size

Filter type and size

Heater for size-spa

Cleaner Robot VS suction

SWG Brand

LED 5g intellicolor 2for pool & 1 spa

Pipe size & why

Slide type brand

Auto cover brand SWG Wanted?

Automation control brand

Descent pump

Spa pump Jet # Types

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.