I'm soooo confused - pool closing, inground pool on hill

zappmann

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
This is my first year closing the pool we had installed in spring. It's a vinyl liner 4 ft all the way across on a hill,
so the back end of the pool is pretty much above ground. Our installer drained the pool down, blew the lines, added
antifreeze, plugged the return lines, and drainined pump/filter (also stuck an empty plastic bottle in the skimmer).
The water was a couple inches below the return lines, but we had 3 inches of rain this weekend. I have read conflicting
reports on where to keep the water level as I don't want the walls to cave in from the water being too low nor do I
want the plumbing to get messed up from water seeping into the "antifreezed" returns or ice pushing the caps off.
I did numerous searches on this site and the conventional wisdom seems to indicate keeping the water level below
the returns, is that correct? We have one of those mesh safety covers which is permeable so water does soak through.

Many thanks in advance, enjoyed the pool so much this summer, don't want to ruin anything!

Thanks - Paul

Here's a picture from behind:
http://theczars.com/IMG_0886.jpg

From above:
http://theczars.com/IMG_884.jpg

Paul this is a little late but welcome to TFP!! :oops:

With your pool being somewhat raised I doubt you'll have any trouble with the walls heaving in from lack of water in the pool. I'd try to keep the water a couple inches below the returns, just in case the ice wants to 'play nasty' with the plugs. Once the thaw comes, you can let Ma Nature refill the pool so you don't have to add too much when you open.

Thanks for the pics - nice set up you've got there! 8)

Thanks much!! :goodjob:

waste said:
Paul this is a little late but welcome to TFP!! :oops:

With your pool being somewhat raised I doubt you'll have any trouble with the walls heaving in from lack of water in the pool. I'd try to keep the water a couple inches below the returns, just in case the ice wants to 'play nasty' with the plugs. Once the thaw comes, you can let Ma Nature refill the pool so you don't have to add too much when you open.

Thanks for the pics - nice set up you've got there! 8)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.