Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I'm soooo confused - pool closing, inground pool on hill

1. Back To Top    #1

I'm soooo confused - pool closing, inground pool on hill

This is my first year closing the pool we had installed in spring. It's a vinyl liner 4 ft all the way across on a hill,
    so the back end of the pool is pretty much above ground. Our installer drained the pool down, blew the lines, added
    antifreeze, plugged the return lines, and drainined pump/filter (also stuck an empty plastic bottle in the skimmer).
    The water was a couple inches below the return lines, but we had 3 inches of rain this weekend. I have read conflicting
    reports on where to keep the water level as I don't want the walls to cave in from the water being too low nor do I
    want the plumbing to get messed up from water seeping into the "antifreezed" returns or ice pushing the caps off.
    I did numerous searches on this site and the conventional wisdom seems to indicate keeping the water level below
    the returns, is that correct? We have one of those mesh safety covers which is permeable so water does soak through.

Many thanks in advance, enjoyed the pool so much this summer, don't want to ruin anything!

Thanks - Paul

Here's a picture from behind:
    http://theczars.com/IMG_0886.jpg

From above:
    http://theczars.com/IMG_884.jpg
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I'm soooo confused - pool closing, inground pool on hill

Paul this is a little late but welcome to TFP!!

With your pool being somewhat raised I doubt you'll have any trouble with the walls heaving in from lack of water in the pool. I'd try to keep the water a couple inches below the returns, just in case the ice wants to 'play nasty' with the plugs. Once the thaw comes, you can let Ma Nature refill the pool so you don't have to add too much when you open.

Thanks for the pics - nice set up you've got there! 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: I'm soooo confused - pool closing, inground pool on hill

Thanks much!!

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Paul this is a little late but welcome to TFP!!

With your pool being somewhat raised I doubt you'll have any trouble with the walls heaving in from lack of water in the pool. I'd try to keep the water a couple inches below the returns, just in case the ice wants to 'play nasty' with the plugs. Once the thaw comes, you can let Ma Nature refill the pool so you don't have to add too much when you open.

Thanks for the pics - nice set up you've got there! 8)
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft