Help with leaking bulkhead o-ring

pabeader

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
May 14, 2015
Cartersville Ga
I have a Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 320 cartridge filter. Ever since I moved it while cleaning, I have a drip coming from the inlet bulkhead. I've tried just about everything I can find doing a search. I even replaced the o-ring and I think it's actually worse. What I find interesting is that the leak starts the instant the water starts to flow into the filter. There isn't any pressure at that point... With my older cartridges it seemed the leak got smaller as the pressure in the filter went up > 20psi. Since I now have new cartridges the pressure hasn't gotten above 8psi, so I don't know if that still holds true.

Looking for any thoughts, ideas, commiseration, suggestions, smart-butt remarks, pretty much anything would be appreciated!!

Reactions: petemillsy
The only thing I can think is to drain it, loosen the bulkhead fitting, wiggle the base around to make sure the plumbing is aligned and tighten the heck out of it. I think I might be tempted to order a new one. That is a pain to troubleshoot that and take it back apart! I have been surprised how much you can and need to crank down on some of the unions and bulkheads and even the drain plug. They seem to be able to take it. I had to switch from a wrench to channel locks on my drain plug because the corners rounded over before it stopped leaking. But, I just crank it until it stops dripping and it's been fine.

Here is the manual with the parts list in case you don't have that.
http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/178558MOM.pdf

I have used a sledgehammer and 1/4" nut driver to turn the union nut. I even tried filling the area with silicone caulk; let it setup for 1/2 a day. Turned on pump and it started to leak before the filter was even full!! That was a few days ago.

As of this morning, there is no evidence of the leak. I have let the pressure get up to just over 10psi. That's almost double my clean pressure, so I plan to clean filters this evening and see what happens with leak.

- - - Updated - - -

The o-ring I'm fighting with is part of #16. It isn't listed as a separate part number. Fun!

More follow up. I had decided that a drip now and then was no big deal and gave up. Well it has gotten worse. After about 5 hours of being off the filter will drain down to below the inlet. While the pump is running, there is a pretty constant drip drip drip. It starts the instant the first bit of water is in the pipe. Even before it builds pressure.

I've replaced the o-ring, I've moved it this way and that way. Everything just seems to make it worse.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking of marine epoxy next. But not sure where to put it to be most effective.

Well, I was wa-a-a-y off so , Thanks!

First, I would say that silicone or epoxy is not the answer. In fact, they often make matter worse.

I would restart the assembly by COMPLETELY cleaning off any material you had previously used to seal it. Once clean, I would make sure that the sequence you are putting things together is absolutely correct. An O-ring on the wrong side is a common issue.

Last, I am not a fan of using force. You should be able to make a leak proof seal with not too much more than hand-tight.

Of those 6 items in that connection, can you tell exactly where the leak is? Does that first O-ring (22) mate nicely with the filter body? Is the filter body nice and smooth?

You know all of this, I'm sure but as a reminder, that seal should require no lubrication to seal completely and should NEVER require force or some type of permanent sealant.

Stay with it and I'll bet it will all suddenly fall in place and you will be leakfree.

It appears to be coming from under the 'nut' part of 16. I'm going to try getting down there and looking up. It's just a pain because of the tomato plants that have grown up all around there. I'm mildly allergic to tomato vines and would rather avoid that area.

Well, I can't quite see what that "nut" does but it looks like a compression fitting. Does all of the rubber look good? Mounted evenly? Do you have the same number of parts as the diagram depicts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Round up for the tomatoes.

Looks like you might be missing the rubber O-ring that seals that connection or, at the least, the seal is not seated properly.

Force and silicone are two bad ideas.

Old thread but I wanted to close the loop as it were.

Found the source of my leak!! After trying literally everything I could think of, short of Fiber Fix. I found the leak. I had the nut off and was holding everything together by brute strength. Could see the dang drip, but not where it was coming from!!! Got wife to look while I was holding it together and she saw the drip. It was coming from where the customer supplied PVC joins with the filter fitting right where you glue them together. Right at the bottom. I have packed the area with marine epoxy and it no longer leaks. Now to smooth it down so I can get the dang flange nut back on. Oh by the way, Fiber Fix works great to repair a broken flange nut. (don't ask) :thumleft:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.