leaking concerns

H2O_Keeper

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 8, 2008
SW Indiana
I have a new pool (to me) and had drained the pump/filter, cover, etc several weeks ago. I just today got around to putting pressure in the lines to put in the three plugs and am concerned about how well things are sealed....I put the plugs in the return lines and I still have bubbles comming around where my plug went in.

What is odd it did it all three places -2 returns and gizmo...My filter gauge shows around 10psi so its not like high pressure...I noticed no apparent leaks or a lot of water I had to add over the summer. My plug is tight the bubles were around that area. Is it normal for things not to seal super tight at 10PSI around pool fittings???? For winter do you think the head pressure of the 12" above the fittings will fill my lines back up thus risking freeze dammage?

Beyond a quick drain of 12" water not sure what else to do. Please help in the 30's today.

I gotta admit, I'm not sure what you are asking :scratch:

However, the plugs work better at negative pressure (ie - the water trying to get in) rather than at positive pressure (ie - air trying to get out). The only thing I can tell you is to be sure you wrapped the threads with teflon tape -- in my experience, if they bubble a little with the teflon on them they will still hold over the winter and keep the line dry.

What kind of pool do you have? I'm thinking it's a liner pool and the faceplates are cracked (or you didn't teflon the plugs). Did you add antifreeze to the lines? (that will help if you DO have a small leak into the line) In my sig you can find a link to a post on winterizing pools - if you don't find the info you need there, please post back! 8)

Sounds like you're good, but let's make sure :goodjob:

EDITED: Added links, gizmo status:

Sorry, still had my question even after reading the Pool School thread on closing....Really all I know is that I put pressure on the line and then put the plugs in tight (still pressurized) and still seen bubbles all around plugs, all three places. I will go back and try tape, I had only used that on the gizmo threads. My plugs though had an Oring around the male threads and get smashed as I turned the plug in, thought that might of been sufficient. Could it just be things dont seal well enough with 20PSI for tape and maybe the orings are bad, thus I only need tape? My plug and eyeball looks like these:

http://www.nextag.com/Threaded-Pool-Ret ... EDC4844F78
http://secure.poolcenter.com/prodinfo.asp?number=542002

Yes it is a vinyl liner/concrete, the face plate came off when I took the gizmo directonal thing off:

Related concern, the gizmo left by the previous homeowner has an access cap on it and I popped it off and theres water in it. I had it all blown out. Guessing my tape didnt hold and had a path to let water enter. Questioning now if my fittings are all cracked that my plugs and gizmo went into. Does anyone know if the final fitting that is glued to the core lines is usually a female one? This is a very old pool and concrete alll around this will not be an easy fix next spring.

For now can I just pour antifreze (for pools) in my gizmo and be okay? We usually dont get deep enough freezes to go down to the return level but am very concerned about the skimmer basket.

Does teflon tape hold up for others to where you dont see A LOT of large bubles like i do all 3 places if it had 20PSI on it momentarily (My compressor is hard to regulate down around 5PSI, adjustment knob vibrates to 0)? Could of I cracked fittings with my 20PSI burst? Any input on this is greatly appreciated before I possibly do more dammage (If I did any) trying to redo things with tape this time (redo for gizmo).

I think you'll be OK if you redo the blowing and use the teflon this time.

The return plugs are like Hayward SP 1022-C, as I suspected. The o-rings may have dry rotted or there may be hairline cracks in the faceplates which seal the liner to the return fittings - either way, a few wraps of teflon tape will prevent any trouble. (BTW 20 psi is a lot to ask any plug to hold 100% - the pressure from the water in the pool will be much less)

What I'm worried about is the gizzmo - you have a blow out type and I don't think it's made by Gizzmo (theirs have a sealed tube in them - the others don't, they're just hollow). If you saw water in the line perhaps the gizzmo has been compromised :( Take a look at the bottom link in my sig for some info not covered in the Pool School article on winterizing. (The Pool School articles are a GREAT place for the basics but sometimes you need a little more 'depth' to handle some situations). In Jason's winterizing post, you can find some tips on blowing and protecting the lines and also how to use a foam noodle to protect the skimmer :)

Please let us know how everything turns out :goodjob:

Talked to a local pool store today about my "gizmo" and it was suppose to have an Oring at the bottom for the one I have. I put one on tonight and tape again...Blew the line back out and filled through the hole with pool antifreeze and let some overflow into the skimmer basket. So far the water level in the gizmo copy is above the pool level so there appears to be no leaks (1 hour later).

I will try redoing the return lines with tape tommorw...Hopefully it is just the old O-rings and the kind of pressure I had in the lines. We normally don't dip below the 20's and when it does not more than a few days so I doubt we will get ice down to them even I dont have it sealed good.

One last question though, how tight am I suppose to do on my caps? Dont want to overtork it but also obviously need it tight enough to seal ( tape should help minimum side)...Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.