Pump not starting

Sal512

May 17, 2015
Austin, TX
My pump refuses to start today, it has been running fine for over a month. I tried turning it on from the service panel as well. It was hot when i touched it. How do i go about diagnosing the problem ? I am about a month old to owning a pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will ask a few questions that might help the experts when they arrive. Is the pump humming or making any noise? Is the pump plugged into or wired to a GFCI that might need to be reset?

How old is the motor/pump?
Was it running prior to it doing this?
How hot is the ambient air temp around the motor? Shade?
Filter pressure? Too high, normal?

Motors commonly have a thermal overload shutdown device built into them to prevent burning them up. Unfortunately, hot to the touch is not a good indicator as the human hand has a fairly low threshold of pain for heat. Just the sun beating down on a black colored case can get one hot enough to not touch yet the motor will run fine. It sounds though like it is a thermal overload that should reset once it is cool.

The pump is not humming or making any noise. I will check on the GFCI. But i dont think power to pump is the issue, because all the lights on the service panel lifght up and my polaris pool cleaner still works

I have a home appliance warranty from first american home warranty, i was reading in their paperwork that pool pumps are covered, i will have to pay $60 for a service call and they pay for parts and repair. Do you think i should call them ? I bought this house 2 months ago and it came with this salt water pool

Yeah, it is a good deal. But you know how the insurance industry is, i am sure they will find some clause to not cover it. Also if its something minor like replacing a capacitor maybe i can do it myself and save the 60 bucks. The insurance guys will take 3 to 4 days until they send somebody out, my pool would have turned green by then

To keep your pool from turning green you can manually add bleach and brush it get some circulation. I know your next question is how much bleach, and to answer that we need to know the volume of the pool, your CYA level, and the current FC and CC levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I tried turning it ON today, after giving it 12 hours of rest. It made a humming sound as if it was trying to start but then it did not start and the humming sound stopped after a clicking sound. I reset all the fuse switches, opened and cleaned out the pump filter basket. Tried to start, it still does not start. Its 95 degrees right now. I have filed a claim with home appliance warranty, lets see how long they take to send somebody out

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.