Shocked pool, water clear, now chlorine level too high. How to reduce quickly?

Jabo

Jun 15, 2014
Freeport IL
First, thank you for always giving helpful advice, so appreciated. I had cloudy water left from algae after start-up. Consulted pool math and forum so shocked the pool with bleach. Added per pool math, said 128 oz. in my case, but chlorine level shot up to 22 after shocking on Saturday. Stayed there until today, Monday, down to 18. Water is clear now.

I need to cover the pool with a solar blanket to help warm the water temp. (at 70 today), but believe it best if sun can burn off chlorine by keeping it uncovered. Here are my numbers from today:
FC 18; TA 370; CYA 45-50; PH 8.2 These were the only tests I did today.

Family wants to swim Friday or Saturday. Questions:

1. How fast will addition of one of the suggested chemicals work to lower the chlorine? Is it hours, days?
2. If hours, then I would assume best course of action is to vacuum and run my pump early every morning between now and Friday, then, cover the pool during the afternoon and evening, without running the SWG. I can test again each day before I cover the pool to see if chlorine is going down.
3. Friday, I can add the chemicals to lower chlorine if needed??
what do you think of this plan?

Last edited:
There's no problem. Shock level for 50 CYA is 20 FC. You're already below that. It's safe to swim now.

Leave the cover off tomorrow and shut off the SWG and you'll probably be down below 10 by sunset. Then you can test pH and deal with it if it needs it, and recover the pool to warm up before the weekend.

OK, I did notice my hand burned after having it in the pool at 22 chlorine level, guess I'm being overly cautious now. I have not covered the pool or ran the SWG at all since Saturday. I do have trees, so have been working hard to keep the seeds and leaves out of the pool. I thought their presence might help to lower the chlorine, but it has been stubbornly staying high and not dropping quickly: Sat @ 22, Sunday @ 22, and just down to 18 today.

If, for any reason, I have to add something to lower it, how long does it take for that to work, please? Thanks for the info.

OK, I did notice my hand burned after having it in the pool at 22 chlorine level, guess I'm being overly cautious now. I have not covered the pool or ran the SWG at all since Saturday. I do have trees, so have been working hard to keep the seeds and leaves out of the pool. I thought their presence might help to lower the chlorine, but it has been stubbornly staying high and not dropping quickly: Sat @ 22, Sunday @ 22, and just down to 18 today.

If, for any reason, I have to add something to lower it, how long does it take for that to work, please? Thanks for the info.
I have no clue. I've never used anything like that. I believe chem geek was explaining something about peroxide, Let me find it..... Posts 13 &14 Desperate -- pool party tomorrow. Cancel party? Floc? Yes, I HAVE BEEN SHOCKING!

FC of 22 with CYA of 50 will not burn your hand. There is something else going on. Although, I have no idea what it could be.

Your PH and TA are way too high. With TA that high your PH is going to rise rapidly, test daily and when it gets to 7.8 add muriatic acid to drop it to 7.2 per Poolmath. It is possible that you will have to add acid several times at first because your PH could be higher than 8.2. Adding acid repeatedly to lower PH will slowly lower your TA. If you want to lower it faster here is how: Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

It is important to keep your PH between 7.2 and 7.8
It is also important to keep your chlorine above the minimum level and below the shock level based on your CYA, Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

It is safe to swim when:
PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
your water is clear
chlorine is above minimum level and below shock level

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.