Oct 12, 2013
Hi All,

Forgive me if this post has been addressed or kindly refer me to another post If this has been answered. I have a 35,000 gallon 40x20ft inground. I'm pretty comfortable with the operation of the pool now, and I'm considering switching to a salt chlorinator. I am told thia wreaks havoc on the internal components more specifically the metal components of the filter/heater. I do t have a heater get but was also considering either gas or heat pump. Any thoughts on this?

A friend of mine mentioned he had some type of filter to keep the harsher corrosive elements from damaging the internals of his equipment. Does anyone know anything about what he is referring to?

I'm in NJ and pool is open from end of May to beginning of Sept. Although I'd like to try to extend the season a bit with a heater.

Many thanks

Nick

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

There has never been a definitive study that has shown any evidence that salt levels needed for a SWG does any type of damage.

Most people worry more about their frames or deck screws rusting. Again, it is still considered nothing to worry about according to the experts around here.

Salt is more damaging to things it's exposed too, but the issues aren't internal that arise. Heaters, pumps, etc will not suffer any damage from SW service. Things like stone, cement and metal around the pool is where you will see it if any. I'm sorry, but I think your friend is mistaken, or there is a misunderstanding about a "filter" or other device protecting his equipment against SW exposure.

Thanks for the replies. I have pavers around the coping and a deck made of pavers. Do you foresee the salt doing damage here, or is it sort of just a theoretical thing?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.