Broken valve

Jul 21, 2008
Cape Coral, FL
When we bought our house we had 2 valves that had one ear broken off. One for the slide and one for the waterfall. Well today my wife broke the other ear off the waterfall valve and I'm sure the other ear for the slide will go soon.
Looking at what I have is my only course of action here to replace the whole manifold since everything is glued? Would it be wise to put couplers on each line coming from the ground to the manifold in case another valve breaks so I don't have to keep cutting pipes and glueing new valves in?

Attachments

• 10-26-08c 001 (Large).jpg
    10-26-08c 001 (Large).jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 439
  • 10-26-08c 002 (Large).jpg
    10-26-08c 002 (Large).jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 439
It would be quite difficult to fit unions on those valves without elevating it significantly to get some extra space. Generally, I would say it would be a big PITA to do.

You could replace the ball valves with brass but that's pricey.

You could simply remake the existing manifold and resign yourself to replacing them if they break......that would probably be my choice.

Just because I'm a cheapskate - I'd use channel locks to turn those valves for now :) As long as the balls in them are holding, it's just an issue of being able to adjust the flow through them 8)

Otherwise, I'd go with Dave's suggestion and replace the whole manifold when the time comes.

Welcome to TFP!!

Ted

Whenever you decide to redo the valves, I'd take the opportunity to better accommodate your SWG, which will involve moving the filter, which means changing everything from the pump to the return valves.

Depending on what your weather is like now, I'd wait to do the job until the spring when it's a bit warmer out and the glue will set better. Maybe you'll get to enjoy the wrench method in the meantime. :-D

I have some of the same ball valves on my manifold. Those look like Jandy Goldline valves, same as mine. My pool is brand new this summer and I did all the plumbing myself and bought only quality components (I thought). I broke one of those handles off myself on Saturday. This valve is only 4 months old and now I'm using a pair of channel locks myself to operate it. I'm kinda ****** about it actually. The Jandy NeverLube valves seem to be of very high quality and are repairable/serviceable. If I replace them I'll bite the bullet and pay the extra for the NeverLubes. I won't ever use the Goldline valves again.

I'm seeing nothing but re plumb here. Jandy Never lube valves? Absolutely, They should call them Never replace valves. Whats great about these is that they come in a couple of different configurations. Two-way, two-way 90, and 3way. The 1 1/2 can accommodate 1 1/2" and 2" pipe. And the 2" can accommodate 2" and 2 1/2" pipe. They also offer check valves that use the same body. You will never have to replace these valve bodies. Period.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.