Torrential rain; Pool brownish green?!?

Jun 7, 2015
Sarasota, FL
Hello TFP folks! New here so bear with me....
This is my first home and first pool. We have been in the home less than a month! (Holy cow what did I just get myself into):hammer:

So we had some good rain here which apparently done something to my pool. I left home to run some errands and the pool looked fine. Came home to a pool that looked more like a pond than a pool! I was only gone a few hours and it appeared to have had some pretty hefty rain by the looks of the streets and yard. (Water puddling).

I have been getting it tested locally through a local pool supply company. All the numbers look good except the chlorine and there is a small trace of copper in the water.
I put a couple of 3" tabs in a floating chlorine container. I ran the pump all night but nothing has changed. I thought that maybe there was some runoff and that it was dirt in the water so I turned off the pump and have let it set for a few hours. I cant tell if it is settling to the bottom or not just yet. It does appear to be clear at the edge of the pool but just for a few inches. There seems to be something settling on the steps going into the pool as well which is what made me think to turn the pump off. I pulled the filter out and used a garden hose to spray it out. THe sediment that I washed out was super fine. Not granulated at all.

Anywho, Here are my test results from 6/07/15

FAC-0
TAC-0
CH-200
CYA-40
TA-100
PH-7.8
Copper-0.3
Iron-0
TDS-2500
Pho-300

Thanks for any help anyone can give!
Dan

Hello and welcome! :wave: Glad to have you with us. Sorry for your troubles. You will certainly receive lots of feedback that will probably begin with the testing method. Please understand that TFP always encourages that you do your own testing via one of the TFP-recommended test kits (i.e. TF-100 link below) since accurate test readings serve as the foundation for everything you do from this point forward and the advice you receive on this site. We've all learned (from personal experience) you cannot reply on pool store tests, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They don't read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need.

Having said that, if those numbers above were accurate, you have no free chlorine (FC) in your pool. That's certainly a problem. You may also be a good candidate to "SLAM" your pool. Below in my sig are a few links to help get you prepared for what may come next. I can bet you will receive a few more replies shortly. Welcome to the site!

Thanks for the warm welcome Texas Splash! I don't doubt that the test results with the FC. Im just learning as I go. Apparently this is one of the things that need to be maintained and not just added once a week.:brickwall:

I am also learning from your links what a "slam" is. Thanks for that!

You're very welcome. Let us know if you have any more questions. And just to re-emphasize .... if you don't already have one, we strongly recommend either the TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit. I have the TF-100 with the magnetic speed stir and it's outstanding. Really puts you in control. Have a good day.

Welcome to TFP!

Sounds like you had a classic case of runoff. If this was the first hard rain in a while, the amount of runoff from the surrounding ground/patio area as well as whatever was washed out of the atmosphere will be greater than if you had some regular rains recently. Runoff combined with 0 FC could make for a cozy environment for algae to become visible. In fact, you may have had algae in the pool prior to this heavy rain - it just wasn't visible yet. Sounds like you will need to SLAM Process. Also, if you have a pool vac, you may need to vacuum the fine silt on the bottom to waster or use a fine mesh silt bag if you have a pressure-type cleaner. A standard mesh bag will allow this fine silt to pass through it.

The more I think about it and the more I research and investigate, I believe it is algae not dirt. The stuff coming out of the filter is a fine silk like mud. No grit to it whatsoever. AAnd I believe I know who the culprit is... Me! I was playing around with the solar heater. opening it up making sure its functioning properly. I believe this thing has been off for quite some time. I know thre was algae buildup in itt enough to throw chunks out when I opened the drain valve for the solar heater. That combined with 0 FC = pond Lol...

I will read up on slamming my pool and get to it!

UPDATE:
So after reading the SLAMing section, I have a few questions about it. First of all, which tests other than the FAS/DPD will I need? I will eventually get a good test kit but until I can afford it Ill have to piece one together for now.

Second, how do you come up with the min, target, and shock values? I understand mine would be 3,5,16 respectively, but how do I know how much of what chemicals to put in? Can I use store bought bleach? Or do I need to go to a pool supply company?

Ok lets work with this for now.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me on this!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.