Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: skimmer basket flap

1. Back To Top    #1

skimmer basket flap

My first pool closing a few weeks ago I only used a gizmo for protecting the skimmer basket. Today I was thinking about the "flap" in the basket....Is that suppose to come out as well, how? If it gets in with a layer of ice that may form will it break?
    21K Gal, IG, Vinyl, Bleach-Borax-Baking Soda, 3/4HP Hayward pump, Hayward sand filter, 200,000BTU Heater, TF100 Testkit
    "All that we are arises with our thoughts." - Buddha
    “When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.” - Dale Carnegie

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: skimmer basket flap

I take one of my antifreeze bottles and squeeze enough air out to wedge it into the opening with the lid on tightly. Push it in far enough that it's all inside the skimmer. It occupies space to keep the skimmer from being damaged, and holds the weir down to the bottom of the skimmer opening.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: skimmer basket flap

You can leave the weir in place. It doesn't contain any water, so the odds of it cracking are low.

A great way to break a weir is to try to figure out how it comes out. You're more likely to damage it un/reinstalling it than leaving it in place.