SWG Reccomendations...In your experience, what is the best system?

TreeFiter

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Jul 2, 2012
Saugerties, NY
I have a few customers that I handle outside of working for a pool company. Several of them are in the market for a SWG. Rather than simply sell them what we sell at work, I thought I would ask all of you for advice to see if there are some better options out there that I might not have been exposed to. We sell the Compupool Infinity series. For the most part they are a nice system. They work well, and they are reasonably simple.

So what do you reccomend?

I have only had Hayward. Good mid-range system with no un-needed bells and whistles. Large user base so finding help is easier. A few know issues, but well documented repairs.

I think its worth looking at the extended costs, such as replacement of cell, and controller repairs.

I dont have much knowledge about Circupool or compupool, except that there have reports here on TFP of quality problems, but that was a few years ago. They may have gotten those ironed out. Replacement cells seem to be reasonably priced as far as I can tell. Dont know about the controller parts.

Pentair works well and is simple to use, (I have one) but output % are in increments of 20 unless you have a easy touch or similar controller to go along with it. This makes accomplishing output of the SWG and pump run times more of a challenge if one is interested in "dialing in" the FC as per TFP recommended levles.
All of the basics controls are integrated into the cell, which makes a replacement cell considerably more costly than their competitors.

Hayward is a good product with proven track record, and as Jblizzle says, some of the repairs are well documented and can be inexpensive (particularly the current limiter). Cell replacement is reasonably priced as is the Circuit Board if replacement is needed.

Autopilot and jandy, I no nothing about at all.

From what Ive read, Zodiac is predominantly going "green" across their product lines. I dont trust any of the 'green' stuff, so Im not objective about it.

For larger pools which need a 60K cell, the options are more limited.

I've been abusing my Pentair SWG for 3 years now. Very happy with it. Yes, it can only be adjusted 20% at a time, but mine is on a separate timer from the pump so it is easy to dial in percentage. One feature for Pentair is that it will continue to produce chlorine even in high salt condition.

They all have their +-.

Jandy Aquapure's have had major sensor troubles and have just redesigned it again so I say stay away from them for the time being. Their required flow rate is the highest of all them, that I know of, so it might not be compatible with the low speeds that people want to run their pumps at.

Hayward AquaRite is a solid performer, good controls, and is reasonably priced. Its issue is the current limiter but is an easy and cheap fix for anyone with a soldering iron.

Pentair is also a solid performer but it is lacking in the control department with 20% adjustment increments without automation. The cell replacement cost is also a bit higher.

AutoPilot is a solid performer with extra features but it is a significant cost increase over the other units. The cell replacement cost is very reasonable.

You use CompuPool so you know how it performs. With their past issues and a recent redesign I choose to stay away from them until they have a longer proven track record.

I have had the Jandy Aquapure for 4.5 years with nothing but issues with flow and sensor problems. I went through 2 cells and 4 sensors in that time span with everything covered under warranty except the last cell that just died out of warranty. I have now been using the Hayward AquaRite for the last month without a hiccup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.