dual outlets-Virginia Graeme Baker Act

Jun 8, 2015
VA
I just purchased the 20ftX52 Intex Ultra Frame Pool and set it up this past weekend. This pool replaced a Intex Easy Set 18ftX48. The new pool came with a sand filter. Also I am a bit freaked out by the dual outlets, have not hooked the filter or salt water chlorinator up as of yet (still filling the pool as I type). The freaky part is there is no top water surface skimmer? I don't understand how vacuuming will work? Also, the two hoses coming from the dual outlets plug into a "T" shaped valve to control/shut off water to the pump, but just hangs off the pool? Looks like Intex did a bang up job to comply with the Virginia Graeme Baker Act. Any thoughts on the hoses just hanging there like that and no skimmer?

Re: New Intex dual outlets?

You can buy a separate Intex skimmer, but I suggest that you get a Hayward in-wall model instead. They do a much better job, won't be knocked off by kids playing, and come with an adapter to hook up a pool vacuum, and a better return eyeball. Don't be afraid to cut into your new liner to install it -- it's easy. There are many installation threads here with pictures.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I did not think that any of the Intex pools came with skimmers ... and that most people were adding them aftermarket.
Lost of Intex threads discussion these pools for you to search and read.
See here: Useful links for fellow Intex Pool Owners

BTW, you are talking about what we call suction lines, not return lines which return the water to the pool.

Yes I have seen people on here trying to hook them up backwards and it causes issues. They are suction lines. I have the Intex skimmer, and it works decently. I imagine the Hayward would work 100x better though. Kids do knock it over frequently.

Thanks for all your responses. Yes, the suction lines...sorry about the erroneous nomenclature. By skimmer, I meant the over the side wall surface skimmer that hangs on the pool. It didn't come with one. Just 2 holes in the side for the suction lines to attach to the outlets. The holes are smaller and the little suction drain things go through a black sleeve to the outside of the pool for the lines to attach to. I was surprised they didn't at least screw in like the old pool. Will I need a skimmer of some sort? I am still at a loss as far as vacuuming the pool.

Yes, I would replace one of them with an in-wall skimmer, and leave the other one open to take in water below the surface.

My pool only has a Hayward surface skimmer, and if particles are suspended deeper than a couple of inches, it won't pull them in and they'll eventually settle to the bottom and stay there until I vacuum them out or the kids stir them up.

I think having a second intake below the surface would be helpful.

To answer your earlier question, a skimmer is not required. But it will certainly keep your pool cleaner. Even the over the wall Intex models are better than nothing. Without one, every leaf and bug that falls into your pool will end up on the bottom and will have to be scooped or vacuumed out. The intakes on the side don't pull in much of that stuff.

Thanks again for your help AZgirl71 and jeffchap. I agree Jeff that one for a skimmer and one for underwater suction would work. The only problem is both outlet holes are in the middle of the pool. So a skimmer hole would have to be cut separately and one of the existing holes plugged. After that I would have to figure out how to connect the hoses right. Also the point of explaining to my DW why I am cutting a hole in a brand new pool. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your welcome. My husband though I was nuts too cutting our pool to replace the outlet and return fittings. A month later when I did the skimmer, he just shook his head, but he sees it now and knows I did the right thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Intex always seems to belt of stock on plunger valves to block off one of the holes. I did find these as I need to add a plunger valve to my skimmer hose at the basket connection so when I have to clean the basket at the pump I can.

Amazon.com : On / Off Plunger Valve with Strainer for Easy Set, Frame Set Garden

Also the point of explaining to my DW why I am cutting a hole in a brand new pool. .

Been there, done that.

I had an extra one of these caps lying around, so that's what I used. It may have been one that came with my SWG (used to close off the tube when soaking it in vinegar). A sand filter will also have one on the waste port that doesn't really serve any purpose other than to keep spiders from setting up house in there. You could use that one.

temporary_zpsf993e78a.jpg

A 1.5" PVC cap may work too, if you add a rubber gasket or two. I've made several PVC adapters to the Intex fittings.

I have the new 18ftx48" ultraframe pool with the dual suction lines and have come to like it.

I installed my ove the top skimmer from my old blue intex pool and hard piped it with pvc pipe with a screwed union to join the lower section port to the basket piping. This keeps the skimmer from getting pushed up out of the pool by the little darlings.

The part that screws onto your old pool suction port for the skimmer will screw onto the new suction port. :)

The extra suction port helps if your skimmer gets kicked up, it can still get water from the pool. from tyhe other port. Also you can balance the intake between the skimmer and the below water intake. Another benefit is that you can temporarily shut off the basket to remove leaves, etc. from the intake below the basket without shutting off the pool.

I connected my pump to the dual 1-inch ports via pvc pipe using fittings that were hose barb w/hose clamp x 1" scrd pvc threads. No mopre starving my Hayward pump.

gtty, thanks for your reply and it's good to hear from someone that has the same dual outlets...reassured me for sure. Any possibility you could show pics? Thanks so much.

I will take some photos tomorrow. Getting rid of the hoses was a nice improvement. Pvc gives more efficient flow and the hoses won't pop off draining the top portion of your pool. don't ask?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.