Have you go to your PB with a lot of changes?

As long as they have not dug the hole yet, they will be more than happy to take some more money from you.
This is not their first rodeo, change is part of the construction business.
How much they charge you for change orders is often reflective of how flexible they are.
We changed from a patterned concrete deck with flagstone coping to a travertine deck and coping. We did so well before they ordered anything and were rewarded with a reasonable upcharge.
Get in before they place orders or do work, otherwise the price will skyrocket or be a flat 'NO'.

C'mon.... Don't you know me better?! This is Suz-switch-a-roo!

I've added so much, changed my mind so much, and still have decisions to make that I'm waiting for my PB to fire me.

Ping and Oz are right. Just get your request in before it's too late, and they shouldn't mind. There's no way you're his first person to make changes. You're just being too nice. Snap out of it!! Take care. Suz.

I've added so much, changed my mind so much, and still have decisions to make that I'm waiting for my PB to fire me.

Ping and Oz are right. Just get your request in before it's too late, and they shouldn't mind. There's no way you're his first person to make changes. You're just being too nice. Snap out of it!! Take care. Suz.

Hahaha! I love the nickname!

All my changes are made before dig and any orders. ****, I'm still waiting on a dig date!!

Now is the time to get options for anything that you can think of and get those priced into the contract if you decide to add them during the build. Changes made after the contract has been signed without having them in the contract is when you will pay substantially more than if they were in the original contract.

Change orders are a profit center.

You can assume he had to be really competitive to get your business given that you did your due diligence and got three bids. Now that he has your contract, he pretty much owns you. Everything you want over and above the contracted price MUST be on a change order since it is an addition to the contract as an "addendum". Hand shakes don't work much now a days.

Feel free to make a deal or group several things together, but study your pool plan so you can negotiate a change using language like - "Well, the supply lines are only three feet away! Help me out heer!" Or "You already have the electrician out here. Can I pay him separately on the side?" (no you can't) But it show you are a player!

However, sometimes he needs you. Lets say he put a light in the wrong place. "Nope. Stick with the dam plan and move it left 5 inches."..."Oh, maybe we can work a deal on something else since you have to move that light anyway." Be thinking concrete, electrical, plumbing. He'll be impressed. Maybe enough to make your dreams come true.

Be creative, be firm, and don't be a pushover. You aren't buddies. You'll never see him again except for warranty work.

Change orders are a profit center.

You can assume he had to be really competitive to get your business given that you did your due diligence and got three bids. Now that he has your contract, he pretty much owns you. Everything you want over and above the contracted price MUST be on a change order since it is an addition to the contract as an "addendum". Hand shakes don't work much now a days.

Feel free to make a deal or group several things together, but study your pool plan so you can negotiate a change using language like - "Well, the supply lines are only three feet away! Help me out heer!" Or "You already have the electrician out here. Can I pay him separately on the side?" (no you can't) But it show you are a player!

However, sometimes he needs you. Lets say he put a light in the wrong place. "Nope. Stick with the dam plan and move it left 5 inches."..."Oh, maybe we can work a deal on something else since you have to move that light anyway." Be thinking concrete, electrical, plumbing. He'll be impressed. Maybe enough to make your dreams come true.

Be creative, be firm, and don't be a pushover. You aren't buddies. You'll never see him again except for warranty work.

All such wonderful advice! I will see them again, we are in. BNI group together! Lol. Won't stop me from getting what's best for my pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

me, too Suz! i sometimes wonder if they'll throw their hands up in the air with us. a lot of the delays and going back and forth were due to their fault but i'm not so sure they always see it that way. i always try to remember that i'm not trying to make a friend, they r my pool builder and i want it right more than want them to like me. i have a couple of kids with special needs and have had to really advocate for them and use the same philosophy with teachers... They r my kid's teacher and i need my kids to get what they need even if it's uncomfortable or i'm not like along the way. i have to focus on my kids. with this, too, i don't regret any of the times we've pushed and do regret some of the times we haven't pushed on things.

one of the paver guys helped me to not feel so generous with the pb, too, when he told me that some of the supers who come out to the jobsite fine the workers $100 if they leave a gatorade bottle or something! they're quick to charge us and others so why should i be so generous with them! especially after the pb told me they only make 5% off of each pool. yah right. your goal is to have the pool of your dreams on your budget. i'm already way over budget and it's crazy how it snuck up. watch and stand up for yourself as much as u can and make the changes u want!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.