One skimmer working, the other isn't

Welcome to TFP! :wave: So, were the baskets for both skimmers in-place the whole time? No chance that anything might have gotten sucked-up into the one skimmer semi-plugging it up in the pipe perhaps? Have you vacuumed lately? Just some thoughts.

The baskets were in place. The only thing that is different is that BOTH skimmers were working but I had a leak at the top of the filter. I turned everything off, fixed the leak, turned it all back on - and the skimmer farthest from the pump does not work - unless I plug up the first skimmer box. They will not work at the same time.

Likely something has caused your pump flowrate to drop so there is not enough flow to pull from both skimmers.

What is the filter pressure now vs previous? Does your filter need cleaning?

I did a very thorough cleaning of the filter and it seemed like I was getting somewhere. I noticed that the pump was filling up with more water like it used to. But then, after a short while, I can see water flowing into the pump, but it is not full.

(My pressure gauge is not working and I will replace it soon).

I don't no where I could possibly have an air leak. There is absolutely no water leaking anywhere from my plumbing.

I did a very thorough cleaning of the filter and it seemed like I was getting somewhere. I noticed that the pump was filling up with more water like it used to. But then, after a short while, I can see water flowing into the pump, but it is not full.

(My pressure gauge is not working and I will replace it soon).

I don't no where I could possibly have an air leak. There is absolutely no water leaking anywhere from my plumbing.
Most likely culprit is the gasket under the pump strainer lid.

Stop and think. Or even try this at home. You are the pump. Put a straw in a cup of soda and start sucking. The straw is full. So is your mouth. All the air is gone. Next, poke a small hole in the straw above the level of the cup and try again. What happens? You suck a lot of air with the soda. You don't get a full mouthful.

That's what an air leak does. That pump basket should be full of water with maybe a small bubble trapped at the top. If it's not, air is getting in. And you don't see it leaking water even with the pump off because it's easier to drain down the pipe back to the pool.

More info: Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

Richard - that is absolutely perfect logic. I will replace that gasket asap. In the meantime, is it possible to damage the pump with that much air in it, even though there is water going through? I think that gasket is probably the only thing I have not replaced in my entire system.

The home we purchased last summer was a repo. We had estimates of upwards to $10K to repair the pool. We have been doing it all ourselves. Last summer, we were replacing 4 inches of water EVERY SINGLE DAY. We just finished replacing the liner last week. Everything is great, except this low suction issue.

Thanks for your help.

In case anyone is reading this and wants to know the resolution....I definitely had air leak(s) in several locations on the suction side. I had to do some re-plumbing to fix one of them, then I found another leak on the pump itself. Since our home was a repo, a lot of our pool problems were created because the bank did not have someone come in and properly close the pool for winter. I could actually hear the crack in the side of the pump housing. I used marine grade cement (JB Weld) and filled and patched the crack. It is holding nicely. Additionally, the drain plug did not have an O ring, so I added that. I took the lid off, cleaned the O ring real well, then lubed it back up and put it on. The system is working better than ever. I still have a small leak somewhere - assuming the suction side because the filter is not totally full of water - but at least both skimmers are working now and we are vacuuming the pool better than we ever have.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey Richard - I have my suction side issues resolved - thanks to your advice. I have some air still coming out of the returns. I have a few drips on some lines coming out of the pump and going into the filter. Is just a few drips enough to get air in the return lines?

Hey Richard - I have my suction side issues resolved - thanks to your advice. I have some air still coming out of the returns. I have a few drips on some lines coming out of the pump and going into the filter. Is just a few drips enough to get air in the return lines?
No. After the pump is the pressure side. Water leaks out, air won't leak in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.