Chemicals for newly filled 22,000 gal guinite pool

ptintenn

Bronze Supporter
Jun 8, 2015
Bartlett, TN
Hi everyone. I am a newbie here :). We drained and painted our 22,000 g guinite pool the past week and have filled it back up with tap water and are ready to balance the water. Took a water sample to the pool store and the pH was 6 and the total alkalinity was 40. They said we needed to put a liter of metal free in first, wait 2 hours then add 3 lbs of soda ash. They said we needed to do this first before adding any chlorine or it could stain the pool. I wanted to check with you pool experts if what they told us sounded correct. Thanks!!!!!

Welcome! :wave:

Is this tap water from a well or from a municipal water source? Do you have iron stains inside the toilet tank? Do you need to use a water softener or filter because the water tastes bitter?

If your have good Iron-free water, don't waste money on metal free. Use the money you saved to purchase a proper test kit. If you do have metallic water, they are correct, adding chlorine and raising pH will cause dissolved metals to precipitate and start staining.

Hi. The water is from a municipal water source (memphis,TN) and no we do not get iron stains in the toilet. Actually Memphis water is known for tasting so good right out of the tap. The reason we drained and painted our pool was because it stained badly last summer and nothing we did could get rid of the stains. We have lots of trees around our pool and anytime something falls in it seems to stain. I have been reading other posts and have noticed everyone talks about the TF-100 kit. I am ordering one today. So once we get the pH and alk ok we should be able to add chlorine? And do u suggest shock or straight chlorine (bleach)? Thanks again. And I will add my signature when I get to my computer. I am typing this on my phone. Thanks again. :). Whitney

If you have no Iron to worry about, add the bleach now. Target 2 (a little more than half a jug of plain 8.25% clorox) since CYA is zero, then fumble around adding stabilizer (7 lbs granular CYA approx) using the sock method, and then address the pH. I'd do chlorine first, stabilizer second so the chlorine is mixing while you're fumbling with the sock, and pH last so the water has maximum time to mix. Have you got any way to test pH yourself right now, even <gag> strips? That's the one test they're usually close on. 3 lbs of Soda Ash may not be enough. Let it mix an hour or so and check again. As an aside... Washing Soda from Target or Walmart or wherever is exactly the same stuff, just cheaper.

What to add and how to add it. Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.