Aqua Trol Grounding

Not sure the exact model you have , but this is what I see in the manual I pulled up:
Input Power
Models with the standard 120 VAC line cord should be plugged into a GFCI recep-
tacle. Twist lock models should be plugged into a twist lock receptacle wired to a
GFCI circuit breaker.

Bonding
A lug used for bonding is attached to the bottom of the Aqua Trol enclosure.
Connect to the pool bonding system using minimum 8AWG copper wire if required
by code

What exact model?

Where did you see that? I didn't see it skimming the manual. The options I saw either had a straight blade plug or a twist lock. Either one should have all the necessary connections done inside the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the hp model straight blade plug. Here is a copy and paste from the manual:

A green colored terminal marked "Earth Ground" is located inside the wiring compartment. To reduce the risk of electric shock, this terminal must be con- nected to the grounding means provided in the elec- tric supply service panel with a continuous copper wire equivalent in size to the circuit conductors supplying the equipment.

I have the hp model straight blade plug. Here is a copy and paste from the manual:

A green colored terminal marked "Earth Ground" is located inside the wiring compartment. To reduce the risk of electric shock, this terminal must be connected to the grounding means provided in the electric supply service panel with a continuous copper wire equivalent in size to the circuit conductors supplying the equipment.
Found it. Funny, it's up front in the Safety Instructions, not in the section on wiring. But it's there, so it looks like you need to run an additional #12 green wire to the panel ground in addition to the bonding wire you should add to the bonding grid. Do not confuse or interconnect the bond & ground systems.

So they want a ground for the circuitry, a bonding wire, and a ground for the case of the unit. Sounds like it would be cleaner looking to just run flexible conduit in place of the cord they supply. Then you could eliminate one of the grounds. Just pigtail the circuitry ground off the case ground in the box. Still have to have the bonding wire.

And there's the problem with having one instruction manual cover multiple products. They probably copied that page from the aquarite and didn't think about changing it to reflect the Aqua trol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.