Propane heater?

I've been doing some research on propane pool heaters. I've been told for my pool size the "Raypak 156 Above-Ground Pool/Spa Heater,
Propane Gas with Electronic Ignition - P156-EN" would be perfect. Now my question is what propane tank size do i need, the people at the pool stores seem to be lost when it comes to stuff like this, U think they would know since they deal with it but apparently they dont, they just sell the heater and that's as far as they go.....anyways what size would be good for my pool size, my pool size is in my signature at the bottom.

I am not sure what a minimum size would be, but in a situation like this I think the bigger the better ... the propane will not go bad and larger just means less frequent fillings.

I know this will sound sarcastic... it is really not meant to be.
Do you really think pool store or for that matter, any big box store employee gets any training on the stuff they sell. I doubt it. Since a lot of them are seasonal employees the co does not want to spend anymore on them than is needed.
Ask the Propane dealer in your area what the best circumstance will be for your application. He is trained to know the sizing and usage rates for what you are doing. Let him know if you will be heating the pool constantly or just using it to warm the water for the weekend. He will be able to size an appropriate tank for you

You need to know what the minimum delivery reauirements will be. Where I am, they will not deliver less than 75 gallons. Perhaps it's different where you are, but I would start there. Summer and winter rates vary a lot down here too, so that is something you want to consider as well.

I know this will sound sarcastic... it is really not meant to be.
Do you really think pool store or for that matter, any big box store employee gets any training on the stuff they sell. I doubt it. Since a lot of them are seasonal employees the co does not want to spend anymore on them than is needed.
Ask the Propane dealer in your area what the best circumstance will be for your application. He is trained to know the sizing and usage rates for what you are doing. Let him know if you will be heating the pool constantly or just using it to warm the water for the weekend. He will be able to size an appropriate tank for you

actually the pool store i go to are a family business and they've been in it for a while so I would think they would know some info, i wasnt asking for a actual precise statement but an idea would of been good for me. It's obvious i would call a propane supplier etc.

Thats a 150,000 BTU heater.
You wouldn't want less than a 150 gallon tank, IMO. Smaller tanks will freeze up even with a small 150,000 BTU heater. Call a local propane company and have them give you an install estimate. You dont buy the tank. The LP company will give you the tank free with no rental cost as long as you use so much gas per year, at least in the states. But 150 gallon is the minimum I would get.
I have no idea what the cost in Canada would be, but around here in New England, the install price with tank delivery, regulator, etc is around $500. That included for me about 30 feet of 3/8" copper, and 2 regulators and all labor. Price could go up depending on length of pipe run, pipe size needed, 2 stage or single stage regulators, trenching, etc.

You dont buy the tank. The LP company will give you the tank free with no rental cost as long as you use so much gas per year, at least in the states.

This is true, but that means you are locked into the LP company and can't shop around for the best price. If you are putting an undergound tank in, I would especially recommend purchasing your own tank. For example, my old LP company was charging 5.99 per gallon on a 120 gallon tank that was theirs. We put in an underground 500 gal tank that we purchased, and the last fill was $1.20/gallon. In two seasons, our cost of the tank would be paid for.

I would look into both options. The LP company won't propose option #2 b/c they want you locked into them. Getting your own tank gives you lots of options.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.