Pump motor vs. Filter size

Jun 4, 2013
Help.....I can not find a definitive answer, or I'm not smart enough to......I have an Intex 14" sand filter, the motor is a .5 HP 1600 gph, and it went out on me. I decided to make a slight upgrade as my pool volume is a bit over 13,000 gal. I placed an order to a newer version Intex .95 hp 3000 gph. My problem is that the larger filter will take more media, which I have ordered, but won't be delivered until a few days later. I was right in the middle of opening my pool and I'm afraid all the work and money I have put in already will be lost. Can I hook the more powerful motor up to the smaller filter for a few days with out causing any damage to the pump? Thank you!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!
Or should I say finally posting on TFP after 2 years ;)

There should be no problem putting the larger pump on the smaller filter.

Quick question, is that your signature I see or is this a case of the software change doing wonky things to some people?

Awesome!! Thank you so much!! And yes, this is the first time I wasn't able to find the answer to a question I had!! ;-) This forum is the best!

That is NOT my signature. I was going to update it, and saw that in there.....not me at all except for the pool size.

I cleared the signature for you to fill in correctly.

Note you might get some sand blown into the pool from the larger pump, but you will not hurt the pump or the filter by doing so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.