New pool build

Jun 8, 2015
Florida
Hey I'm new on the forum. I love looking through all the pool builds so much, I figured you guys might like to see mine. It's a small free form around 80 linear feet. 12x7 sun shelf with bubbler and umbrella sleeve. 3 1/2 to 5ft deep. Jandy equip including LED light. 600 sq ft of travertine decking. Pebble sheen blue granite finish. That's about it. Pretty simple pool.

good question. Personally I suggest you use a photo hosting website like photobucket. It gives you greater control over your pics and is less hassle in the long run IMO.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The builder wanted to lay the travertine over the old base for the old pavers. Looked like 4" of gravel and sand. I thought if I'm paying for a new patio, I should get a new proper base too. Besides, the old patio had lots of low spots and uneven edges. In case he got any ideas while I'm at work, I went ahead and broke up the old base so he wouldn't have a choice but to start over. K.H, if your reading this, my patio and grading better be spot on! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone have travertine in South Florida or similar climate? What base did they put down? My builder said they will compact existing soil and only add 1"of sand on top. Everything I read recommends 4-6" of compacted gravel underneath the sand....

So, there has been a little progress since my last post. They got the pool plumbed. I got a call at work that day from construction manager asking where the meter was. They hit my water line which I actually moved (what was said to be) out of their way �� ��. Funny part was, the meter box was under a dirt pile they had in the back yard. It made me grin listenng to the manager try to figure out how to shut water off. No biggie though. They also broke some irrigation. I ended up doing pipe work in the dark that night, thinking they would be back next day to backfill plumbing after inspection. Not the case but better safe than sorry. You just never know when they'll show up to work ��. Anyways, they also got waterline tile in and marker tiles for the bench and shelf. Somehow, they ended up installing brown turtles on the shelf when I ordered green. No problem. Manager admitted fault and will replace. The marker tiles were last minute. My 6 year old LOVES turtles. The bench needed marker tiles anyways per code and I was surprised how cheap it was to upgrade to the fish/starfish. No brainer for the kiddies. Travertine "is getting delivered Monday". All in all, I'm pretty happy so far. Only complaints are
Wrong color turtles
Broken water lines
Unexpected death of 1/2 of FRONT yard ��
Guys leavng a $600 light floating in muck water. Really no big deal but come on really?
Here is a few pics

- - - Updated - - -

The turtles are going to look great! I love them as markers. What color plaster or pebble finish will you be using? Take care. Suz.

- - - Updated - - -

Your update came in after I hit send. The fish and starfish are awesome! I can't tell from the pictures. Are they replacing the brown turtles or on a bench or step out?

Blue Granite but I keep asking myself if Aqua Blue is maybe the right choice. Our pool is fairly shallow and I'm not sure Blue Granite will provide the color I'm looking for. Something tells me I will be happy with whatever I end up with. The starfish/fish are on the deep end bench

I'm the last person to give advice on a pebble product - just look at my threads!! Everyday I chose a different color or went back and forth.

My first choices were Blue Granite, Aqua Blue, and French Grey. Then the new color in the Sheen line came out - Blue Surf. Have you seen the thread on that? It's supposed to be between Aqua Blue and Blue Granite.

All I can say is good luck! Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.