Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pre-Winter Algae - what to do?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pre-Winter Algae - what to do?

Hello - I haven't been here in a while, but here in Austin, TX, it's been a very warm Fall and start to the Winter. Obviously we're not using the pool right now, and since I've been neglecting it a bit because of the down time, I've got a pretty good little algae bloom going. I have a 0 FC level and a PH of 7.8 - why do I feel like a kid who's done something wrong and knows it

My question is, should I treat it (very familiar with the BBB method which brought my pool back to life this summer thanks to this board), or just let it be, knowing that we have a major cold front coming in tonight and that the low temps will be in the 30's and 40's for the next week and beyond. Will the cold temps take care of the algae on it's own or should I do a shock treatment this weekend to help clear it up so I'm not looking at a green swamp all winter?

As always, much appreciated!
    Chappy
    11,000gal, in-ground, concrete, sand filter, 3/4 HP pump, TF-100 Test Kit, Austin Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pre-Winter Algae - what to do?

I would go ahead and treat it. Algae, once established, can be quite belligerent about not wanting to leave for the winter. Chlorine will put it in it's place.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Dave. I'll knock it out!

Should I worry about adjusting the PH right now, or over the winter?
    11,000gal, in-ground, concrete, sand filter, 3/4 HP pump, TF-100 Test Kit, Austin Texas

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If you bring the pH down now to the low 7's, the chlorine is somewhat more effective but I wouldn't see that as critical.

If, in the past, it has shown a tendency to rise on it's own (many pools do), then I would bring it down. If it tends to be stable or go lower on it's own you could simply leave it.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School