Over-the-Top Filter Hoses?

Dan F

Jun 8, 2015
Silverton, Oregon
We recently set up a 17'x42" Intex pool. I am using the small filter that came with it to run a solar heater and have purchased an Intex brand sand filter.

The pool came with small bulkheads which I am using with the original filter. The new sand filter uses 1.5" hoses. Rather than buying plunger valves and cutting them into the pool, can I just use PVC to make over-the-rim intake and return lines? I realize that I will have to figure out a way to prime the lines, but other than that is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

I am brand new to this pool thing, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

You would be better off to figure a way to hook the sand filter up to the regular inlet and outlets installed in the pool.
The intex sand filters and pumps don't like to prime well over the edge. At least I could never get mine to.
And you don't have to cut the plunger valves into the pool, if you have the smaller inlets, you can get adapters from intex, we have a 14' pool and that is what we did, works just fine.

THe Intex site is horribly slow right now but the part you want is Adaptor b, part number 10722 .... that is if you have the smaller 1 1/4" inlet/outlets on your pool.
It will adapt to the 1 1/2" plunger valves that came with the sand filter pump.
here is the link Adaptor B�To Connect Large Hose [1-1/2� Or 38mm] To Small Pumps And To Connect '06 And After Season Large Pumps To 16' And Below Agp) - Replacement Parts - Above Ground Pools - Store - Intex

Your old cartridge filter however will prime just fine over the edge, just stick the inlet over the edge of the pool and make sure it stays in the water.

Thanks for the help, tmurphy!

Would it make sense to run the intakes from both filters through the bulkheads with the return lines over-the-rim?

What do the plunger valves do, exactly? The cartridge filter doesn't have them, just a strainer.

Would I need another adapter on the inside for the plunger valve?

The hose adapter is only three bucks, so maybe I could use that to connect the the filter intake to the bulkhead and then just fabricate a strainer for the inside?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

You just use your existing strainer and return and put the adapters and plunger valves on the outside and hook up the sand filter pump, it is as easy as that.
The plunger valves just give you a place to "turn off the flow" from the pool when you have to clean out the filter basket on the pump or service the filter or pump in anyway.
They are VERY handy and I wish I had them when I was working with just the cartridge filter!
It would have saved me from wet feet every time I had to clean the cartridge! Or trying to use those stupid little "hats" they give you to plug up the returns. They never stayed on properly.

You want your filter system to be running and circulating properly, so I would hook the sand filter up to the existing bulkheads and just throw the old cartridge filter over the edge for now.
Like I said, It'll prime just fine and if you are only running it through a solar heater it isn't quite as important to have it circulating properly... if that water isn't clean.... does it matter if it is warm?

We basically have ours set up like that, only we are using a submersible pump for our solar heater because we can run that for free off the solar panels on our shed.
The pool pump runs at night and is too powerful for the solar panels we have (hubby wants to get more powerful ones eventually) so why not take the free energy where you can :)
I just go out and plug it in when it is warm enough to bother.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.