Keeping a dirty deck clean?

aztec123

Gold Supporter
Jun 8, 2015
Dobbs Ferry, NY
Hi all. Any help for a newbie would be much appreciated. We bought a house in NY last year and moved in mid July. With lots of help from TFP I managed to keep the pool operational and swimmable (first time I have had a pool). This year I aspire to have the pool also be nice and enjoyable – but I am realizing I have more problems with the pool surround than the actual pool. The area around the pool is heavily planted, and the deck area gets lots of rain, which catches dirt, leaves etc and leads to mold, algae, etc. I have done some light power-washing, but that is taking forever, and also seems to strip some of the “paint” off the deck. I have attached photos. You can see where I power-washed, and where I stopped. I also have a photo that shows some of the stripped area. The surface is old, and there are chipped / stripped areas even where I have not power-washed. There is another area where I can feel the surface has delaminated (sort of a one square yard bubble) from whatever is underneath – it sort of squishes when you step there.

Can anyone tell what the surface type is from the photos? Is there a good way to clean it and / or prevent the mold / algae from forming?

Thanks for any feedback or advice.

View attachment 37917

View attachment 37918

My deck gets uber-amounts of debris, but I don't get algae on it...I also don't have your grooves.

In your case, daily sweeping with a deck broom dipped in a bucket of your pool water should prevent algae growth provided your FC is at proper levels ;) Alternately, you could just add a cup of chlorine to a bucket of regular water for a stronger solution.

My guess on your surface is epoxy paint like what one would use on a garage floor. Patch paint with that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.