Getting Ready for a good old fashioned SLAM

aboykin2269

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2015
Pittsboro NC
Hi everyone. I am getting ready for a SLAM and have a question about my Chlorine SLAM level.
My #'s:
FC 1.5
CC 1
CYA 30
PH 7.3
TA 100
CH 175
HCL 3600

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Shows SLAM level for SWG pools at 28 and 31 for CYA levels of 70 and 80. "not recomended" at CYA of 60 (or below I would assume). My CYA is at 30 and everyone has been telling me to go ahead and SLAM with CYA at that level so I will not require as much Chlorine. So, since CYA of 30 is not shown on the SWG chart, do I use the SLAM level of 12 fromthe "Non-SWG" chart?

Thanks,

That's correct. Do it now at 30 and then after the SLAM you can let your SWG kick-in and pick things back up to normal. For now, just rely on the liquid bleach.

- - - Updated - - -

During SLAM, most SWG users turn their system down while using primarily bleach to save on the SWG/cells. :)

Use the bleach chart, since you're using bleach.

Is the pool a gooey green or black mess? If so, we want pictures! Daily updates. Vicarious thrills.

attachment.php

It doesn't look THAT bad. It's a bit cloudy with a slight green tint. It's a brand new pool and I waited until it was full before adding salt, CYA, and turning on the SWG. I think my FC's were too low in the beggining and the algae is just now starting. I'll definately post some pics. Probably going to start the SLAM tomorrow. I work full time, so i'll have to do my SLAMing/testing before and after work. Twice a day should be OK right? Or should I SLAM and test before work, after work, and before bed?

It doesn't look THAT bad. It's a bit cloudy with a slight green tint. It's a brand new pool and I waited until it was full before adding salt, CYA, and turning on the SWG. I think my FC's were too low in the beggining and the algae is just now starting. I'll definately post some pics. Probably going to start the SLAM tomorrow. I work full time, so i'll have to do my SLAMing/testing before and after work. Twice a day should be OK right? Or should I SLAM and test before work, after work, and before bed?
Start tonight, then the sun won't steal any of the bleach. It can all go to algae killing. The more often you check and replenish the bleach, the faster it goes. Lots of working stuffs hit it in the morning, then as soon as they get home, and again before bed. In your case, you could leave the SWG on to maintain FC while you're at work. It won't generate enough fast enough to get to shock level, but it should keep it from completely disappearing during the day.

Start tonight, then the sun won't steal any of the bleach. It can all go to algae killing. The more often you check and replenish the bleach, the faster it goes. Lots of working stuffs hit it in the morning, then as soon as they get home, and again before bed. In your case, you could leave the SWG on to maintain FC while you're at work. It won't generate enough fast enough to get to shock level, but it should keep it from completely disappearing during the day.

Should I be worried about damaging the cell?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And we're SLAMin'!
#'s from yesterday 6-08-15 (pre-SLAM):
6:30pm
FC 1.5 (GOAL 12+)
CC 1
PH 7.3
TA 100
CYA 30

After initial SLAM (ADDED 3 QUARTS OF 8.25% LIQUID BLEACH)
7:15PM
FC 18
CC 1

9:40PM
FC 16
CC 1.5

This Morning 6-09-15:
4:25AM
FC 11
CC 2

5:00AM
FC 14
CC 2

pics from pre-SLAM:

- - - Updated - - -

20150608_182328.jpg
20150608_182256.jpg

Do I need to check the FC levels both before and after adding recommended bleach every time? Or can I check it, add what's needed according to poolmath and let it go until the next reading? I'm checking it first thing in the AM, as soon as I get home from work, and before bed.

This one will not take long at all!

For the first couple of times I would test before and after to make sure you are adding enough. After that just check before you add and use Pool math to tell you how much to add.

Kim

You're doing well! Remember to keep running your pump 24/7. Remove any “muck” and debris, scrub all parts of your pool (including the ladder) to expose any algae, and vacuum/clean (or backwash) filter as necessary. You may have to do this several times. It's a lot of babysitting, but with patience and consistency, you will succeed. Remember ... "MAINTAIN" the SLAM (FC Level) until:
1. Water is clear
2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5

Good luck!

Thanks Kim. I have read MANY threads on this subject and I have seen you post many encouraging and helpful replies. I LOVE this site. I never knew I could learn this much about water chemistry. I'm becoming OBSESSED with the TFPC method. I can't wait for a sparking clean pool!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm all over it Texas Splash. The "M" in SLAM=MAINTAIN!

I bought my test kit BEFORE I bought my pool! I wanted to make sure I could do it before I committed to another pool.

I was so pool stored with my last pool that it ruined my liner and I gave up and gave the walls and stuff away after the liner gave way and almost took me with it.

My husband really missed the pool so I told him IF he could find a way for me to take care of the pool that did NOT involve the pool store we could try it again. Well he found TFP and we now have a pool we BOTH love!

Kim

Right on Kim!
Well something is hungry in there (I'm sure we lost a lot due to full sun most of the day) but a check @ 7:45 pm shows FC @ 6! So I just added 2 quarts 8 Oz of bleach and will test again in 30-45 minutes after it mixes. I took the ladder out (my Honey is gonna scrub that down tomorrow) and I vacuumed. Gonna scrub the sides tomorrow and vacuum again. I'll post more numbers in a few when I retest. Thanks again for all the help Y'all are the BEST!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.