Cloudy water going on three weeks!!!

Jun 8, 2015
Groton, New York
I had my pool installed last summer, but it took us most of the summer to get the electric installed.
Therefore, the pool was never opened.
When I opened it this spring it was a swamp.
I have been shocking the pool and trying to keep the chlorine level steady since then.
I did buy one of the Taylor test kits last week.

The pool has never gotten clear. It is a hazy blue color and I can not see the bottom.
Only can see down about a foot to a foot and a half.

Here are some of my readings
6/6/2015
TC 0
FC 1
PH 7.4
TA 150
CH 220
CYA 30

6/7/2015
TC 3
FC 5
PH 7.4
TA 140
CH 210
CYA 30

Shocked the pool between these two readings.

We have been scrubbing and vacuuming like crazy. I do know there is still some stuff on the
bottom of the pool.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

Welcome to TFP! Your numbers look good other than your FC is too low.
What test kit are you using? You will need to have a recomended test kit to follow the SLAM process.

To clear the cloudiness you need to SLAM.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

You will use pool math to determine how much bleach to add. You have to follow the SLAM until all 3 criteria are passed.

- - - Updated - - -

Also keep brushing and vacuuming as well.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Please understand the TFP method does not simply "shock" or "super-chlorinate" a pool as typically advised by the local pool store. As Lisa advised, we do what's called "SLAM". SLAM is significantly different than an overnight “spike” in chlorine, and can take a few days (perhaps even a week or two) to properly complete. Be patient as SLAM is not an overnight process. Welcome, and post questions if you have them. Lots of folks here to assist.

Even though it's raining, don't stop on the SLAM you started! You must "Maintain" that high FC level until you pass the 3 SLAM requirements:
1. Water is clear
2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5
If you stop, slow down, or let that FC drop it voids all of your work so far. So stay at it! :)

Also watch your CYA to ensure it doesn't drop below 30 or you will lose free (good) chlorine even faster. 30 for the SLAM is perfect, I'm just saying make sure it doesn't go lower.

And say, while it's raining, take the opportunity to review the links you see in all of our signatures. :) The repetition will eventually become second-nature for you. Best of luck!

Ok so I have been doing an actual slam for two days now. I had ordered the wrong taylor kit so I had to order the FAS/DPD (sp may be wrong) seperately, which finally arrived.
New numbers:
CYA 40
Holding FC at 16 based on chart.
Checking every two hours.
Vacuumed and added 10 large boys to pool to get everything moving.
Still not seeing much improvement. But am hoping this will happen soon.
Thank you everyone for all the great information.
Melanie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, so my pool is finally, after much vacuuming, scrubbing, and chlorine, beautifully clear. Just as a side note, my children are depressed because now they can not hide in it. No one is ever happy, but in this case mom is, so I win. I am going to attempt the over night test this weekend.
I would just like to thank everyone for their help with this situation.
Melanie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.